Can the Schrodinger equation satisfy Laplace's equation?

In summary, the time-dependent Schrodinger equation can be rearranged to have Laplace's equation as a solution, but only in certain limited cases such as a half-infinite cylinder. In these cases, there are normalizable solutions involving spherical harmonics.
bb1414
The time-dependent Schrodinger equation is given by:

##-\frac{\hslash^{2}}{2m}\triangledown^{2}\psi+V\psi=i\hslash\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\psi##​

Obviously, there is a laplacian in the kinetic energy operator. So, I was wondering if the equation was rearranged as

##-\frac{\hslash^{2}}{2m}\triangledown^{2}\psi=i\hslash\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\psi-V\psi##​

then does there exist a wave function ## \psi## that satisfies Laplace's equation

##\triangledown^{2}\psi=0##
so that

##\triangledown^{2}\psi=i\hslash\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\psi-V\psi=0##
If so, can the solution then be a set of spherical harmonics, which is commonly found when dealing with Laplace's equation in other areas?

Physics news on Phys.org
My memory about the solution of Laplace's equation is a bit hazy but after checking wikipedia about spherical harmonics, the general solution of this equation takes the form of
$$
\psi(r,\theta,\phi) = \sum_{l=0} \sum_{m=-l}^l c_{lm} r^l Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)
$$
which is clearly not normalizable and hence cannot serve as a square integrable solution required to be an element of Hilbert space.

Likes bb1414 and Demystifier
An attempt to solve the equation by a Fourier transform would lead to ##{\bf k}^2=0##, implying ##k_x=k_y=k_z=0##. That would correspond to a constant function, which is also not square integrable.

Likes bb1414
Demystifier said:
An attempt to solve the equation by a Fourier transform would lead to ##{\bf k}^2=0##, implying ##k_x=k_y=k_z=0##. That would correspond to a constant function, which is also not square integrable.

That's true for an infinite 2-D plane. However, if your "universe" consists of a half-infinite cylinder, parametrized by [itex]x,y[/itex] according to:
  • [itex]0 \leq x \lt \infty[/itex]
  • [itex]0 \leq y \leq L[/itex]
  • The point [itex](x,y)[/itex] and the point [itex](x, y+L)[/itex] are identified.
Then there are normalizable solutions of the form:

[itex]\psi(x,\theta) = e^{\frac{2n\pi}{L} (-x \pm i y)}[/itex]

Likes Demystifier and bb1414

Related to Can the Schrodinger equation satisfy Laplace's equation?

1. Can the Schrodinger equation be derived from Laplace's equation?

No, the Schrodinger equation cannot be derived from Laplace's equation. The Schrodinger equation is a quantum mechanical equation used to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, while Laplace's equation is a classical equation used to describe the behavior of a scalar field.

2. Is the Schrodinger equation a special case of Laplace's equation?

No, the Schrodinger equation is not a special case of Laplace's equation. While both equations involve second-order derivatives, they have different forms and are used for different purposes.

3. Can the Schrodinger equation and Laplace's equation be used interchangeably?

No, the Schrodinger equation and Laplace's equation cannot be used interchangeably. As mentioned before, they have different forms and are used for different purposes. Attempting to use one in place of the other would not yield accurate results.

4. Can Laplace's equation be solved using the Schrodinger equation?

No, Laplace's equation cannot be solved using the Schrodinger equation. While the Schrodinger equation can be used to solve for the wave function of a quantum system, Laplace's equation is used to solve for the potential function in a classical system.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation and Laplace's equation be used together?

No, the Schrodinger equation and Laplace's equation cannot be used together. As mentioned before, they are used for different purposes and attempting to combine them would not yield accurate results.