Can the RLC Circuit Homework be Solved Using Different Methods?

In summary, the problem involves solving for v(t) and iL given R = 125 ohms, L = 200 mH, C = 5 uF, initial current in L is -0.3A, and initial voltage across C is 25V. The first part of the solution involves solving for v(t) using the equation v(t) = (Bcos(wt)+Csin(wt))e^(-at). The second part involves solving for iL using two different methods, one using the equation iL = -iR-iC and the other using the equation v(t) = L*di/dt. The latter method may require integration and can be solved using WolframAlpha.
TheBlueDot

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

R = 125 ohms, L = 200 mH, C = 5 uF, initial current in L is -0.3A, and initial voltage across C is 25V.

Homework Equations

v(t) = (Bcos(wt)+Csin(wt))e^(-at)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved for v(t) t>0 and got 25e^(-800t)(cos(600t)+ (4/3)sin(600t)). The second part is to solve for iL for t>0. In class, we've been solved for iL using iL+iR+iC = 0 →iL = -iR-iC but I want to solve for iL using v(t) = L*di/dt and I can't get the same answer as the other method. Is this not valid for this case? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBlueDot said:
I want to solve for iL using v(t) = L*di/dt
It should work, providing you have v(t) correct. So you're going to integrate v(t). Can you attach your working?

Can you show your work?

Thanks for the responses.
I had iL = (1/L)∫[25exp(-800t)*[cos(600t)+(4/3)sin(600t)] ]dt and I used WolframAlpha to evaluate the integral. The answer was in the right form but the coefficients were off. Thanks!

Likes NascentOxygen

Related to Can the RLC Circuit Homework be Solved Using Different Methods?

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in either series or parallel and can be used to model a wide range of electrical systems.

2. How do you solve RLC circuit homework?

To solve RLC circuit homework, you will need to use a combination of circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, along with knowledge of how to calculate the impedance of each component. You may also need to use differential equations to analyze the behavior of the circuit over time.

3. What are the key equations for solving RLC circuits?

The key equations for solving RLC circuits include Ohm's law (V=IR), Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws, and the equations for calculating the impedance of each component (Z=R for a resistor, Z=jwL for an inductor, and Z=1/jwC for a capacitor). You may also need to use the equations for calculating the total impedance of components in series or parallel.

4. What are some common challenges when solving RLC circuit homework?

Some common challenges when solving RLC circuit homework include identifying the correct circuit configuration (series or parallel), correctly applying Kirchhoff's laws, and understanding the behavior of inductors and capacitors in AC circuits. It can also be challenging to solve for multiple unknown variables in a complex circuit.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving RLC circuit homework?

Some helpful tips for solving RLC circuit homework include drawing a clear and accurate circuit diagram, double-checking your calculations, and using a systematic approach to solve the circuit. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and to practice solving simple RLC circuits before tackling more complex problems.