Can the Radius of a Disk Affect the Inclined Plane Experiment Results?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with questions 1.3 and 1.4, which involve using conservation of energy and understanding the relationship between sin and gradient. The speaker has completed the first two questions but is having trouble understanding how to approach the last two questions. They mention using the moment of inertia and are unsure about the role of k2 in the problem. They also mention that this is a level 4 question and they have not covered the basics of it in level 3.
Andrew187
Hi there I was wondering if someone can help me on this attachment I am stuck on question 1.3 and 1.4. This was an experiment to see relationship between sin and gradient I have confidently completed the first two questions but it is the last two questions which are troubling with I am finding it difficult to get a grasp of. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Dynamics.pdf
    363.1 KB · Views: 305
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your attempt at the question? It says you have to use conservation of energy. Think of how energy is lost, and how it is gained.

On my first reaction I think that g sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] is the total for the sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] from the total and r2 is the radius of the disc which in this case is 750mm but I don't understand what k2 is?

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever come across these questions before as I haven't covered even the basics of it in level 3 so I don't know how to tackle this problem this is a level 4 question.

First, you should use the moment of inertia in the solution.
If the radius of disk is 750 mm it will drag the ground unless the ramp is raised somehow.

Related to Can the Radius of a Disk Affect the Inclined Plane Experiment Results?

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is often used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.

How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by reducing the amount of force required to lift an object. The force needed to lift an object on an inclined plane is less than the force needed to lift the same object straight up. This is due to the longer distance over which the force is applied on the inclined plane.

What is the formula for calculating the force on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the force on an inclined plane is F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force required?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the force required in two ways. First, as the angle increases, the force needed to lift the object decreases. Second, the steeper the angle, the more difficult it is to push or pull the object up the incline.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Some common examples of inclined planes include ramps, stairs, and roads. Other examples include wheelchair ramps, escalators, and even playground slides. Inclined planes are also used in construction, such as building ramps to move heavy equipment or materials to higher levels.