Can the premise P∨Q be ignored in a propositional logic proof?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of disjunctions and the possibility of ignoring certain premises to derive a proposition in propositional logic. The speaker shares their attempt to prove a proposition using disjunctions and getting stuck when assuming Q. They are then advised to ignore the premise P or Q and proceed with their proof, which they successfully do using a technique called augmentation.
Guest2
I've to derive the following proposition in PL using the system in http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/propositional-logic-8386.html (in which Evgeny.Makarov has explained everything ever so kindly to me).

I'm trying to prove $\displaystyle P \vee Q, ~(R ~ \& ~ P) \to \neg Q, ~R, ~ R \to P: \neg Q$. I tried using disjunctions by assuming P to get the conclusion - but then when assumed Q to get the conclusion (its negation) I got stuck. Someone told me that I can ignore $ P \vee Q$ and get the conclusion without. Is this really allowed? In that case I could do the following, I think:

$ \begin{aligned} & \left\{1\right\} ~~~~~~~~~ 1. ~ P \vee Q\ldots \ldots \ldots \ldots \text{premise}
\\& \left\{2\right\} ~~~~~~~~~ 2. ~ \left(R ~ \& ~ P\right) \to \neg Q \ldots . \text{premise}
\\&\left\{3\right\} ~~~~~~~~~ 3. ~R \ldots \ldots \ldots \ldots \ldots \ldots \text{premise}
\\&\left\{4\right\} ~~~~~~~~~ 4. ~R \to P \ldots \ldots \ldots \ldots\text{premise}
\\&\left\{3, ~ 4\right\} ~~~~~ 5. ~P \ldots \ldots \ldots\ldots\ldots .. 3, ~4 \text{MP}
\\&\left\{3, ~4\right\} ~~~~~ 6. ~ R ~ \& ~ P\ldots \ldots \ldots \ldots. 3,5 \text{& I}
\\&\left\{2,~3,~4\right\} ~7. ~ \neg Q \ldots\ldots\ldots\ldots\ldots \text{2, 6 MP} \end{aligned} $

But I'm not sure whether I can really do that. My book has something it calls 'augmentation' and I suspect it may have something to do with that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good to me. I don't see any reason why you can't ignore the premiss $P\lor Q$.

Related to Can the premise P∨Q be ignored in a propositional logic proof?

What is propositional logic?

Propositional logic is a branch of mathematical logic that deals with the study of logical relationships between propositions or statements. It is concerned with the logical connectives (such as "and", "or", "not", etc.) and how they can be used to form more complex propositions.

What is a propositional logic problem?

A propositional logic problem is a type of mathematical puzzle or logical reasoning task that involves using propositional logic to solve a problem. It typically involves identifying the truth values of given propositions and using logical rules to determine the truth value of a conclusion.

What are some common logical connectives used in propositional logic problems?

Some common logical connectives used in propositional logic problems include "and" (conjunction), "or" (disjunction), "not" (negation), "if...then" (implication), and "if and only if" (equivalence).

How do you solve a propositional logic problem?

To solve a propositional logic problem, you first need to identify the given propositions and their truth values. Then, you can use logical rules and connectives to determine the truth value of a conclusion. This often involves constructing a truth table or using logical equivalences to simplify the problem.

What are some real-life applications of propositional logic?

Propositional logic has many applications in fields such as computer science, mathematics, and philosophy. It is commonly used in computer programming to create logical algorithms and in artificial intelligence to develop reasoning systems. It is also used in legal reasoning, decision-making, and argumentation.