Can the Path Integral be Calculated from the Propagator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the propagator to calculate the path integral Z. It is noted that the propagator can be evaluated, but the path integral cannot be directly evaluated. However, by differentiating the propagator and replacing q with the operator \frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)} in the potential V(q), a formula is obtained to calculate Z. The formula involves expanding V\left[\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)}\right] and the exponential in a power series, and then setting F(t) to zero after all derivatives have acted to remove the qF(t) term. This provides a systematic way to calculate Z from the propagator.
eoghan

Homework Statement

Itzykson-Zuber ch. 9-1-1:
If
[tex]H=\frac{P^2}{2m}-QF(t) [/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)}\langle f\mid i\rangle_F=\langle f\mid Q(t)\mid i \rangle_F[/tex]

Ok, I understand that.
But then it states: if
[tex]H=\frac{P^2}{2m}+V(Q)[/tex]
then
[tex]\int\mathcal{D}(q)\exp\left\{i\int dt\left[\frac{m\dot q^2}{2}-V(q)\right]\right\}=\exp\left\{-i\int dt V\left[\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)}\right]\right\}\langle f\mid i\rangle_F\big|_{F=0}[/tex]

I can't understand this formula...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything all week long

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the propagator [itex]\langle f | i\rangle_F [/itex] is defined as

[tex]\langle f | i \rangle_F = \int \mathcal D[q \dot{q}] \exp\left[i \int dt~\left\{ \frac{1}{2}m\dot{q}^2 - q(t) F(t) \right\} \right]. [/tex]

Suppose you can evaluate this path integral, but the path integral that you really want to evaluate is

[tex]Z = \int \mathcal D[q \dot{q}] \exp\left[i \int dt~\left\{ \frac{1}{2}m\dot{q}^2 - V(q)\right\} \right]. [/tex]

Is there a way to calculate this from [itex]\langle f | i \rangle_F[/itex]? Formally, yes. You've noted that

[tex]\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)} \langle f | i \rangle_F = \langle f | q(t) | i \rangle_F,[/tex]

which I will assume you understand the meaning of. Now, what if you differentiated twice? You'd get

[tex]\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t_1)} \frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t_2)} \langle f | i \rangle_F = \langle f | q(t_2) q(t_1) | i \rangle_F.[/tex]

Ok, so what does this have to do with the formula? Well, suppose you replace q with the operator [itex]\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)}[/itex] in the potential V(q). What does

[tex]\exp\left[i\int dt~V\left[\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)}\right] \right] \langle f | i \rangle_F [/tex]

mean? Well, you have to understand it in a power series sense: expand [itex]V\left[\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)}\right][/itex] in a power series, and then expand the exponential in a power series. The derivatives will act on [itex]\langle f | i \rangle_F[/itex] to give a factor of q(t) for each derivative [itex]\langle f | i \rangle_F[/itex]. If you then re-sum up both the exponential series and the series for V, you will end up with a term V(q) in your exponential which isn't there in the original propagator [itex]\langle f | i \rangle_F[/itex]. So, what you find is that

[tex]\exp\left[i\int dt~V\left[\frac{\delta}{i\delta F(t)}\right] \right] \langle f | i \rangle_F = \int \mathcal D[q\dot{q}] \exp\left[i\int dt~\left\{ \frac{1}{2}m\dot{q}^2 - V(q) - q(t)F(t)\right\}\right][/tex]

But there's still that qF(t) term there, so set F(t) to zero after all of the derivatives have acted to get rid of it and have the path integral that you really want.

To summarize this, the formula gives you a way of systematically calculating the path integral [itex]Z[/itex] given the propagator [itex]\langle f | i \rangle_F [/itex]. (Although it may be a rather inefficient way!)

Related to Can the Path Integral be Calculated from the Propagator?

What is the Itzykson-Zuber path integral?

The Itzykson-Zuber path integral is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics, specifically in the study of quantum field theory and string theory. It is a generalization of the Feynman path integral and allows for the calculation of certain quantities, such as correlation functions, in these theories.

Who developed the Itzykson-Zuber path integral?

The Itzykson-Zuber path integral was developed by physicists Claude Itzykson and Jean-Bernard Zuber in the 1970s. They first introduced it in their paper "The Planar Approximation. II. Quantum Field Theory" published in the journal Communications in Mathematical Physics in 1977.

What are the applications of the Itzykson-Zuber path integral?

The Itzykson-Zuber path integral has applications in various areas of theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, string theory, and statistical mechanics. It is used to calculate quantities such as correlation functions, partition functions, and scattering amplitudes.

What are the advantages of using the Itzykson-Zuber path integral?

The Itzykson-Zuber path integral is a powerful tool in theoretical physics, as it allows for the calculation of certain quantities that are difficult to obtain using other methods. It also provides a more natural and intuitive approach to calculating these quantities compared to traditional methods.

Are there any limitations to the Itzykson-Zuber path integral?

Like any mathematical tool, the Itzykson-Zuber path integral has its limitations. It is mainly applicable to theories with a large number of degrees of freedom and can be challenging to apply in cases where there are strong interactions between particles. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of calculations and may require additional techniques to obtain accurate results.