Can the normal force between a blocks accelerating together be zero?

In summary, three rectangular blocks of equal mass are sliding to the right along a frictionless surface, accelerated by a force F applied to the left side of the left-most block. Each block has a force of gravity downwards and a normal force from the surface upwards. In terms of m, F, and/or g, the horizontal forces on each block are as follows: block 1 has an applied force to the left and a normal force from block 2 to the right, block 2 has a normal force from block 1 to the right and a normal force from block 3 to the left, and block 3 has a normal force from block 2 to the right. By using Newton's Law of equal and opposite pairs
mistymoon_38

Homework Statement

Three rectangular blocks of equal mass m slide to the right along a frictionless horizontal surface accelerated by a force F applied to the left side of the left-most block. (a) Draw a free-body diagram for each block. (b) Determine the magnitudes and directions of all of the forces on each block in terms of m, F and/or g.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As for vertical forces, each block has the force of gravity downwards and the normal force from the surface pointing upwards, which sum to 0. That part is fine.

As for the horizontal forces, on block 1 I have the applied force to the left, and the normal for from block 2 to the right. For block 2 I have the normal force from block 1 to the right and the normal force from block 3 to the left. And then for block 3 there I have the normal force from block 2 to the right. Using Newton's Law of equal and opp. pairs, I know that the normal force of 2 on 1=-(force on 1 on 2) and normal forces of 2 on 3=-(force 3 on 2).

By equating these forces and using Newton's Law, I get that the force of 2 on 3 is just F (applied force) and 3 on 2 is -F. And 2 on 1/1 on 2 is zero. Is that possible? Am i missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
mistymoon_38 said:
By equating these forces and using Newton's Law, I get that the force of 2 on 3 is just F (applied force) and 3 on 2 is -F. And 2 on 1/1 on 2 is zero. Is that possible? Am i missing something?

you made a mistake somewhere doing this.

The easiest way to do it is to start by calculating the acceleration of all the blocks by using F = m*a for all of them together

Hi mistymoon_38! :smile:

Hint: Call the acceleration A.

So the net force on the three blocks as a whole is F = 3mA.

Then what is the net force on the first block, to produce an acceleration of A? :smile:

Hey! We have the same problem for my Physics Recitation.

I disagree with your block 1 which might lead to your error. I said that The Force Applied is going to the right and The Force (2 on 1) is going to the left.

This means that F(1 on 2) = -F(2 on 1) so it should not equal zero but be the same.

Related to Can the normal force between a blocks accelerating together be zero?

1. What is the normal force between blocks accelerating together?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the case of blocks accelerating together, the normal force is the force exerted by one block on the other due to their contact and acceleration.

2. Can the normal force between blocks accelerating together ever be zero?

Yes, the normal force can be zero if one block is not in contact with the other or if the blocks are accelerating at the same rate and in the same direction, resulting in a canceled out normal force.

3. What factors affect the normal force between blocks accelerating together?

The normal force is affected by the mass of the blocks, the acceleration of the blocks, the angle of the surface they are on, and any other external forces acting on the blocks.

4. Is the normal force necessary for blocks to accelerate together?

No, the normal force is not necessary for blocks to accelerate together. The blocks can accelerate together if there is no contact force between them, such as when they are connected by a string or when they are on a frictionless surface.

5. How does the normal force change when the blocks are on an inclined surface?

The normal force is affected by the angle of the surface. On an inclined surface, the normal force will be less than the weight of the blocks due to the component of the weight acting parallel to the surface. The normal force will also increase as the angle of the surface increases.