Can the normal force be in vertical direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of normal force and how it relates to gravity. The speaker expresses their belief that normal force cannot be in the vertical direction because gravity acts horizontally. However, they also mention posting to confirm their understanding and seem to have some confusion between horizontal and vertical directions. The other speaker clarifies that normal force is not necessarily related to gravity and asks if the first speaker understands what normal force is.
ahmed emad
HI,
Can the normal force be in vertical direction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ahmed emad said:
HI,
Can the normal force be in vertical direction ?
What do you think and why?

I think it's not because gravity act in horizontal direction ,but I posted to confirm my understand

ahmed emad said:
I think it's not because gravity act in horizontal direction ,but I posted to confirm my understand
It sounds like you have horizontal and vertical mixed up...

https://gawallbeds.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/h-and-v.jpg
h-and-v.jpg

ahmed emad said:
Normal force does not necessarily have anything to do with gravity. Do you understand what normal force IS ?

Related to Can the normal force be in vertical direction?

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force that is exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts to prevent the object from passing through the surface.

2. Can the normal force be in a vertical direction?

Yes, the normal force can be in a vertical direction. The direction of the normal force depends on the orientation of the surface and the direction of gravity acting on the object. If the surface is horizontal, the normal force will be directed in the vertical direction.

3. Is the normal force always equal to the weight of an object?

No, the normal force is not always equal to the weight of an object. The normal force is equal to the weight only when the object is in equilibrium, meaning there is no acceleration. In other cases, the normal force may be greater or less than the weight depending on the forces acting on the object.

4. How does the normal force affect an object's motion?

The normal force affects an object's motion by providing the necessary force to counteract the weight of the object and keep it in equilibrium. If the normal force is not equal to the weight, the object will experience acceleration in the direction of the net force.

5. Can the normal force ever be negative?

No, the normal force cannot be negative. The normal force is a contact force that acts in the direction perpendicular to the contact surface. It is always positive and acts to prevent objects from passing through the surface.