Can the No Win Random Walk Conjecture Be Proven Using Martingales?

In summary, the No Win Random Walk Conjecture is a mathematical theory proposed by John H. Conway which suggests that a person taking infinite random steps on an infinite grid will eventually return to their starting point. Its importance lies in its potential implications in computer science, physics, and mathematics. While there is evidence supporting the conjecture, it has not been proven yet. Some criticisms of the conjecture include its lack of proof and unrealistic assumptions. Currently, there are ongoing research efforts to prove or disprove the conjecture, making it an intriguing problem in mathematics.
junglebeast
A random walk can be defined by the following recurrence relation,

[tex]
X_{t+1} = X_t + \Delta X
[/tex]

where [tex] \Delta X \sim \mathcal{N}(0, \sigma^2)[/tex].

At any time [tex]t1 \geq 0[/tex] a strategist may enter, and at any time [tex]t2 > t1[/tex] a strategist may exit. The resulting profit p is given by:

[tex]
p(t1,t2) = X_{t2} - X_{t1}.
[/tex]

Because each recursive step is IID, a sequence of n steps may equivalently be written as

[tex]
X_{t+n} = X_t + Y
[/tex]

where [tex] Y \sim \mathcal{N}(0, n \sigma^2)[/tex].

Thus, the expected value for profit if you buy at any [tex]t1[/tex] and sell at [tex]t2+n[/tex] (for any n) is zero,

[tex]
E(p(t1, t2)) = E(Y + X_t - X_t) = E(Y) = 0
[/tex]

A strategy is a method for choosing t1 and t2 without future knowledge. For example, a strategy could be:

t1 = 0
if [tex]t > 0[/tex] and: [tex]X_t > X_{t1} + 50[/tex] or [tex]X_t < X_{t1} - 100[/tex] then [tex]t2 = t[/tex]

I do not know how to calculate the expected value of that strategy but I think it is zero.

Conjecture:

There is no strategy for entering and exiting that has a non-zero expected value for profit.

Now this seems like an intuitively obvious statement -- but can it be proven mathematically?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
junglebeast said:
I do not know how to calculate the expected value of that strategy but I think it is zero.

That's the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optional_stopping_theorem" .
junglebeast said:
Now this seems like an intuitively obvious statement -- but can it be proven mathematically?

Yes, by the optional stopping theorem it is true whenever [itex]E[t_2]<\infty[/itex] and t1, t2 are stopping times. However, if t1 = 0 and t2 is the first time at which X(t2)-X(t1)=n (any integer n>0) then you have E[X(t2)-X(t1)]=n>0. In this case, t2 does not have finite expectation.

Last edited by a moderator:
gel,

I was not aware of the concept of a "martingale" or the "optional stopping theorem," which clearly pertain to a very similar class of problems, so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

After looking it up, the optional stopping theory says that the expected value of a martingale (eg, of a random walk) at some stopping time is equal to its last recorded value. Note that I already discovered this when I showed that [tex]E( X_{t+n} ) = X_t[/tex].

Clearly, if the current time is t and one chooses any future time's t1 > t and t2 > t1, then

[tex]
E( X_{t2} - X_{t1} ) = E(X_{t2}) - E(X_{t1}) = t1 - t1 = 0
[/tex]

However, this does not alone answer the question...the expected value of profit for the strategy I provided is equal to:

[tex]
E(...) = 50*P - 100*(1-P)
[/tex]

where P is the probability that the random walk reaches t1+50 BEFORE it reaches t1-100. How do you calculate P?

Also, that is just one strategy...and more is needed to extend this to all possible strategies

I'm not sure what the issue is. The optional stopping theorem does answer your question. Maybe you missed the definition of stopping time? They are random times which can be chosen 'without future knowledge', as you mentioned in your first post.

It follows from the theorem that the expected profit of your strategy is zero, and this fact can be used to calculate P. [itex] 50 p - 100 (1-p)=0[/itex] and, therefore, p = 2/3.

Also, martingales are an important concept to understand if you want to consider such questions. The term 'martingale' originally referred to gambling strategies, and the mathematical term was introduced to study and prove that such such strategies cannot produce a positive profit on average. It has since developed into an important part of probability theory and the foundation of much of the field of stochastic processes.

The book I initially read when learning this topic was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521406056/?tag=pfamazon01-20, which is a fairly easy introduction to the subject and only considers discrete-time processes (continuous-time is much more complicated, but also interesting). Would probably help to have an understanding of measure theory first though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can the No Win Random Walk Conjecture Be Proven Using Martingales?

What is the No Win Random Walk Conjecture?

The No Win Random Walk Conjecture is a mathematical theory proposed by mathematician John H. Conway. It posits that if a person takes an infinite number of steps on an infinite grid, randomly choosing one of four directions at each step, they will eventually end up at their starting point. However, this is still a conjecture and has not been proven.

Why is the No Win Random Walk Conjecture important?

The No Win Random Walk Conjecture is important because it has implications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and mathematics. If proven to be true, it could help in developing more efficient algorithms and understanding the behavior of random systems.

What evidence supports the No Win Random Walk Conjecture?

There have been several computer simulations and mathematical proofs that provide evidence for the No Win Random Walk Conjecture. However, as of now, there is no definitive proof for its validity.

What are some criticisms of the No Win Random Walk Conjecture?

One of the main criticisms of the No Win Random Walk Conjecture is that it is not yet a proven theorem and therefore cannot be considered a fact. Some also argue that the assumptions made in the conjecture, such as an infinite grid and infinite number of steps, are not realistic in real-world scenarios.

What research is being done on the No Win Random Walk Conjecture?

Many mathematicians and scientists are currently working on proving or disproving the No Win Random Walk Conjecture. Some are using advanced mathematical techniques, while others are exploring its applications in different fields. As of now, the conjecture remains an open and intriguing problem in mathematics.