Can the Leading-Edge Radius of an Airfoil be Determined from X Y Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the leading-edge radius of an airfoil using x-y coordinates. One method suggested is using a curve fit and finding it analytically in XFoil. Another method involves using the thickness distribution equation for a NACA 4-series airfoil. However, it is uncertain if this equation would provide an accurate value for modern aircraft profiles.
RandomGuy88
Does anyone know how to determine the leading-edge radius of an airfoil using just the x y coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could just do a curve fit and then find it analytically...

I know you can do it in XFoil...

ie:
1) Start XFoil
2) type "NACA 0012"
3) type "OPER"
4) hit "enter/return" key
5) type "GDES"
6) a window pops up:
24ot7k3.png

Do you know if there is a way to output the value of rLE from XFOIL. I need the value of the leading edge radius for a code I am writing and would prefer to not have to enter that value manually..

I knew I'd find it eventually... had to find my book first.

Essentially, if you have a NACA 4 series then NACA ABCD, where CD gives the max thickness, t.

Then: [itex]R_{LE}=1.1019t^{2}[/itex]

And if all you have is x-y coordinates then you should be able to find 't' by the thickness distribution (assuming you know it's a NACA 4-series)

[itex]\pm y_{t}=\frac{t}{0.20}\left(0.29690 \sqrt{x}-0.12600x-0.35160x^{2}+0.28430x^{3}-0.10150x^{4}\right)[/itex]

The source: Theory of wing sections: including a summary of airfoil data By Ira H. Abbott, Albert Edward Von Doenhoff

Last edited:
Hey! had more or less the same problem, do you think the equation given by Abbott gives an appropriate value if it's not a NACA four digit profile ? For example for normal nowadays aircrafts ? (I don't know what kind of profile I have)

Last edited:

Related to Can the Leading-Edge Radius of an Airfoil be Determined from X Y Coordinates?

1. What is an airfoil leading edge radius?

An airfoil leading edge radius refers to the curvature or roundness of the front edge of an airfoil, which is the shape of a wing or blade used to create lift in aerodynamic systems. It is an important design parameter that affects the performance and handling characteristics of an aircraft or other flying object.

2. How is the airfoil leading edge radius determined?

The airfoil leading edge radius is determined by the shape and size of the airfoil, as well as the desired aerodynamic properties. It is usually measured in terms of a percentage of the chord length, which is the distance from the leading edge to the trailing edge of the airfoil.

3. What is the purpose of an airfoil leading edge radius?

The purpose of an airfoil leading edge radius is to improve the aerodynamic performance of the airfoil. A larger radius can reduce drag and improve lift, while a smaller radius can increase maneuverability and stability. It also helps to prevent flow separation and stall at high angles of attack.

4. How does the airfoil leading edge radius affect the flight characteristics?

The airfoil leading edge radius plays a crucial role in determining the flight characteristics of an aircraft or other flying object. A larger radius can result in a smoother and more stable flight, while a smaller radius can make the aircraft more responsive and agile. It can also affect the stall speed, lift-to-drag ratio, and other performance metrics.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a larger airfoil leading edge radius?

While a larger airfoil leading edge radius can have positive effects on the aerodynamic performance, it can also create more drag and reduce the maximum lift capability. This can result in a slower top speed and a lower overall efficiency. It is important to find a balance between the desired flight characteristics and the potential trade-offs of using a larger radius.