Can the Insight Articles be published as a series of paperback books?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
In summary, Greg Bernhardt has not published the Insight Articles in a paperback format. He is considering publishing them in interviews, physics, and mathematics books.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I admit that I like the Insight Articles mostly because I frequently can link to them instead of repeating the same answers over and over again. It seems we have around 400 of them, and all fill the gap between a Wikipedia article and a textbook. They also often include personal experiences, recommendations and views which aren't easy to find elsewhere. So as you own them @Greg Bernhardt, have you ever considered to publish them in one or two or three small paperbacks - Interviews, Physics, Mathematics? This might be the wrong moment to ask for if you're busy with other things, for there certainly will be quite a lot of editorial work to do. However, they would be a great read on commuter trains and in doctors' waiting rooms - a nice little jewel so to say.

Just a thought and maybe the business consultant in me has spoken.

Likes dlgoff, Tom.G, berkeman and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Good idea. It will also help support PF.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
One of the main hurdles is that the math is rendered on the go via javascript. It won't convert to pdf or a book format easily. hmmmm

I can only judge from my point of view. I write them as a tex-file and convert those to the PF editor, which is a bit like a small version of LaTeX, because I usually have to do many compromises on the layout. I do the exchange of control sequences with a good text editor (I find it is the best), that allows me to search and replace, e.g. $ → ## followed by #### → $$. I haven't used a browser's print function, though this could be an option, too. The automatism either with the help of editors, or by a small program, which substitutes control sequences sounds at least interesting to me.

I know that the idea is cheap and the editorial work more expensive, will say exhaustive, than it can be seen at first sight. Another idea is to contact some publishers and transfer the format problem, or at least get some advice. Maybe even amazon as a partner of PF is also an address to ask them. It's a hidden treasure that waits to be discovered. The idea came to me by the following story: A newspaper site I used to regularly read gathered stories of their readers about flight experiences. They finally took the best of them in a paperback and published it. I would have forgotten it, but they sent me a copy
as my story made the cut.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
fresh_42 said:
They finally took the best of them in a paperback and published it.

Were there not legal issues with doing that?

Vanadium 50 said:
Were there not legal issues with doing that?
One had to sign an agreement and they used real names under the stories.

Related to Can the Insight Articles be published as a series of paperback books?

What is the purpose of publishing insights as a paperback book?

The purpose of publishing insights as a paperback book is to make the information more accessible and tangible for readers. It allows for a physical copy of the insights to be easily shared and referenced, rather than just being available online.

What kind of insights can be found in a paperback book?

A paperback book of insights can contain a variety of information, such as research findings, data analysis, personal anecdotes, or expert opinions. The specific insights will depend on the topic and purpose of the book.

How is a paperback book of insights different from an online source?

While both may contain similar information, a paperback book of insights offers a more permanent and organized format. It also allows for a deeper dive into the topic, as the author has more space to expand on their thoughts and findings.

Can insights in a paperback book be trusted?

The credibility of insights in a paperback book depends on the author and their sources. It is important to research the author's credentials and the sources they used in their book to determine the reliability of the insights.

How can a paperback book of insights benefit readers?

A paperback book of insights can benefit readers by providing them with valuable information and perspectives on a particular topic. It can also stimulate critical thinking and further research on the subject. Additionally, having a physical book can make it easier to reference and share the insights with others.