Can the force exerted by 2 magnets be used to turn a windmil

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a wind turbine with rare Earth magnets to generate electricity. It is mentioned that a coil is needed for the current to flow through and that perpetual motion machines are a banned topic. The speaker also asks for clarification on what the original question was referring to.
ArcticWolf_11
Hi, this is my first time on the forums and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if I got a windmill and 2 rare Earth magnets can I stick one magnet to the blade of the fan and then use the other magnet to push the windmill to generate electricity? -Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
oops i meant wind turbine not a windmill lol sorry bout that

Hi ArcticWolf 11 welcome to PF!

I am not certain exactly what you are asking. I am not sure if you are asking if a wind turbine could be formed using a permanent magnet for both the rotor and the stator, or if you are asking about a perpetual motion machine.

If the first, then you need at least one of either the rotor or the stator to be a coil rather than a permanent magnet so that you can get a loop for the current to flow through.

If the second, then you should be aware that perpetual motion machines are a banned topic here.

oh.. i didn't know they were banned, and why are they a banned topic here? -sorry :(

ArcticWolf_11 said:
oh.. i didn't know they were banned, and why are they a banned topic here? -sorry :(

perpetual motion machine discussions are banned because they are not physically possible

if you are not talking about something that is self powering, then explain more clearly what you were thinking about :smile:cheers
Dave

Related to Can the force exerted by 2 magnets be used to turn a windmil

1. Can the force exerted by 2 magnets be used to turn a windmill?

Yes, it is possible to use the force exerted by 2 magnets to turn a windmill. This is known as magnetic energy conversion and involves placing magnets on the blades of a windmill and using the repelling force between them to spin the blades. This technology is still in the early stages of development and has not been widely implemented yet.

2. How does magnetic energy conversion work?

Magnetic energy conversion works by utilizing the repelling force between two magnets. By placing magnets on the blades of a windmill and arranging them in a way that they will repel each other, the force can be used to spin the blades and generate energy. This is similar to traditional wind turbines, but instead of using wind to turn the blades, it uses the repelling force between magnets.

3. What are the advantages of using magnetic energy conversion in windmills?

One of the main advantages of using magnetic energy conversion in windmills is that it eliminates the need for mechanical gears and bearings, which can be costly and require maintenance. It also has the potential to be more efficient in converting wind energy into electricity compared to traditional wind turbines.

4. Are there any limitations to using magnetic energy conversion in windmills?

Yes, there are currently some limitations to using magnetic energy conversion in windmills. One limitation is that it is still in the early stages of development and has not been widely implemented, so there is limited research and real-world data on its effectiveness. Another limitation is that it may not be suitable for all wind speeds and may not be as efficient as traditional wind turbines in certain conditions.

5. Can magnetic energy conversion be used in other renewable energy sources?

Yes, magnetic energy conversion can potentially be used in other renewable energy sources such as hydroelectric dams. By placing magnets on the turbines of a dam, the repelling force between them can be used to spin the turbines and generate electricity. However, more research and development is needed before this technology can be implemented on a larger scale.