Can the Extended Euclidean Algorithm Solve Equations in Number Theory?

In summary, if you have the equation ax + by = c, you can use the extended Euclidean algorithm to find the greatest common divisor (gcd) of a and b, which is the only factor that will allow the equation to have a solution. If the gcd does divide into c, then you can find a pair (x,y) using the extended Euclidean algorithm. However, if the gcd does not divide into c, then there is no solution to the equation. This is known as the linear congruence theorem, which can be found on mathworld.com. Additionally, to find x and y for a given c, you can work backwards from the extended Euclidean algorithm to write the gcd as a linear combination of a
Bob19
Hi I got a question:

I have the following problem ax + by = c. Where a,b are positive integers, and c is a known integer.

If I calculate the gcd(a,b) is it then possible to find the x,y which makes the above equation true ?

Best Regards,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
yes...there are many solutions if gcd|c. no solution if it doesn't

its known (I hope in the right order):
"The linear Congruence THeorem" (go check mathworld.com)
What you do is use the extended GCD(euclid) algorithm.

Please bear with me,

ax + by = c. Then if gcd(a,b) is different from 'c' then there doesn't exist any x,y which makes the equation true?

And this is derived from The extended euclidian algorithm ?

/Bob

neurocomp2003 said:
yes...there are many solutions if gcd|c. no solution if it doesn't

its known (I hope in the right order):
"The linear Congruence THeorem" (go check mathworld.com)
What you do is use the extended GCD(euclid) algorithm.

Last edited:
no the derivation i think comes from another proof. You use the extended euclidian
to find x0,y0. With that pairing you can find all solutions if they exist(distinct congruences)

and its not gcd=c its gcd|c...guess you haven't seen this notation before..it means gcd divides c (or maybe i have it bkwds, c|gcd) either way it means gcd is a factor of c.
go to mathworld.com..its a nice source of math stuff.

Thank You :-)

/Bob

neurocomp2003 said:
no the derivation i think comes from another proof. You use the extended euclidian
to find x0,y0. With that pairing you can find all solutions if they exist(distinct congruences)

and its not gcd=c its gcd|c...guess you haven't seen this notation before..it means gcd divides c (or maybe i have it bkwds, c|gcd) either way it means gcd is a factor of c.
go to mathworld.com..its a nice source of math stuff.

On last question,

This is how I understand the gcd-part of the euclidian algorithm.

If gcd(a,b) is larger than 1, then there is no solution for ax+by = c ?

/Bob

Bob19 said:
Thank You :-)

/Bob

no heh best ot use an example. k

First the theory
linear congruence theorem states
ax+by=gcd(a,b) always has many(finite number) solutions of which you can find a pair(X0,Y0) FROM
GCDext.

however your equation is ax+by=c. Hopefully you'll see what sgoing on...
inorder for this 2nd eq'n to have a solution c must be a multiple of g.
thus ax+by=c=kg. since you can find solutions ax+by=g...you can find solutions for ax+by=kg. Do you see how?

Now the example.
so 4x+6y=2...(-1,1) is a sol'n
and 4x+6y=8...(-4,4) is a sol'n where k=4
and 4x+6y=7..(no sol'n)...2 does not divide 7.

since g = 2--> 2(2x)+2(3y)=7 ...2 does not divide into 7. no solution can be found.

Thank You again for Your answer,

I have used the day to study the extend euclidian algorithm.

and I have a question.

Once again we have the equation ax + by = c and d = gcd(a,b)

If 'd' does divide into 'c', 'a', 'b' how do I find 'x' and 'y' ??

e.g. 510x+2850y = 60, Here gcd(a,b) = 30. Is there a specific method I can use to calculate x,y? Or is the only method doing the number in my head ?

Sincerely and Best regrads,

Bob

neurocomp2003 said:
no heh best ot use an example. k

First the theory
linear congruence theorem states
ax+by=gcd(a,b) always has many(finite number) solutions of which you can find a pair(X0,Y0) FROM
GCDext.

however your equation is ax+by=c. Hopefully you'll see what sgoing on...
inorder for this 2nd eq'n to have a solution c must be a multiple of g.
thus ax+by=c=kg. since you can find solutions ax+by=g...you can find solutions for ax+by=kg. Do you see how?

Now the example.
so 4x+6y=2...(-1,1) is a sol'n
and 4x+6y=8...(-4,4) is a sol'n where k=4
and 4x+6y=7..(no sol'n)...2 does not divide 7.

since g = 2--> 2(2x)+2(3y)=7 ...2 does not divide into 7. no solution can be found.

Bob19 said:
Once again we have the equation ax + by = c and d = gcd(a,b)

If 'd' does divide into 'c', 'a', 'b' how do I find 'x' and 'y' ??

e.g. 510x+2850y = 60, Here gcd(a,b) = 30. Is there a specific method I can use to calculate x,y? Or is the only method doing the number in my head ?

First find x, y, where ax+by=gcd(a,b). You know how to use the Euclidean algorithm to find gcd(a,b), you can work backwards from this to write the gcd as a linear combination of a and b. e.g. a=33, b=9.

33=3*9+6 (eq1)
9=1*6+3 (eq2)
6=2*3+0

so gcd(33,9)=3. (eq2) tells us 3=9-1*6. (eq1) tells us 6=33-3*9, substitute this into (eq2) to get:

3=9-1*(33-3*9)=9-1*33+3*9=9*(4)+33*(-1)

and we have x=4, y=-1.

So if we wanted x, y with 9x+33y=6 say, we'd multiply by 2 and take x=4*2=8, y=(-1)*2=-2.

you find it by the extended algorithm

Related to Can the Extended Euclidean Algorithm Solve Equations in Number Theory?

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of integers and their relationships with each other.

2. What is the greatest common divisor (GCD)?

The greatest common divisor, also known as the greatest common factor, is the largest positive integer that divides two or more numbers without a remainder.

3. How is the GCD calculated?

The GCD can be calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves finding the remainder when dividing the larger number by the smaller number and then repeating the process with the remainder and the smaller number until the remainder is 0.

4. What is the relationship between number theory and cryptography?

Number theory plays a crucial role in cryptography, as it provides the mathematical foundations for encryption and decryption algorithms. It also helps in generating large prime numbers that are used in cryptographic systems.

5. What is the significance of the Goldbach's conjecture in number theory?

Goldbach's conjecture is a famous unsolved problem in number theory that states that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. It has inspired many other conjectures and has led to significant progress in the study of prime numbers.