Can the Double Slit Experiment Reveal Information About Parallel Dimensions?

In summary, it is not clear if one can detect differences between the expected and actual interference patterns if the 'other' electrons originate from a close parallel dimension.
Martyn Adams
Assuming that the double slit experiment creates interference patterns when electrons interact with themselves (or 'other' selves) from a parallel 'space' - one wonders if one can 'image', or at least gain more information about that other 'space' (dare I use the word 'dimension'?) in which the 'other' electrons originated.

I know there's lots of assumptions here - but stay with me...

If we increase/decrease the spacing of the gaps in the double slit experiment slowly (within tolerances), one would expect the experiment to continue to work with the interference pattern changing in time to match the changes in the spacing.

However if we make the changes at, say, a TV signal frequency would the the changes keep up exactly, or would there be a slight difference? If we vary the spacing with a live TV signal of the experimenter, the electrons would still form an interference pattern, varying at the same TV signal frequency. Any discrepancies between the expected interference pattern and the actual received interference pattern would be the difference between the TV signal from here to the one generated (or 'experienced' by the 'other' electrons).

I know there are many naive assumptions here - but what if the 'other' electrons (those with which 'our' electrons interfere with) come from a close parallel dimension? If there are any viewable differences - we should be able to detect them. Maybe the experimenter in the other dimension as a beard? If that's so we should be able to see it.

If we get no differences between the expected and actual received interference patterns this may be because the 'other' electrons originate from this 'dimension' (i.e. there's no 'dimensionality' element at all or maybe close dimensions collapse back to each other) or that the other 'dimension' is so close to ours as to make no detectable difference. I.e. The result is inconclusive. I fear this is the most likely result.

Other possibilities include interactions with many other 'dimensions' simultaneously, which may degrade the generated TV image - perhaps to an unrecognisable signal of pink noise.

Nevertheless any other results would be interesting in their own right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

No, there is no known way to communicate with or detect a parallel dimension.

Martyn Adams said:
Assuming that the double slit experiment creates interference patterns when electrons interact with themselves (or 'other' selves) from a parallel 'space' - one wonders if one can 'image', or at least gain more information about that other 'space' (dare I use the word 'dimension'?) in which the 'other' electrons originated.
The electrons are interfering with themselves. (More accurately, their wavefunctions.) There are no 'other' electrons.

Since the OP's question has been answered and discussion of parallel universe is not allowed, I'm going to lock this thread.

Related to Can the Double Slit Experiment Reveal Information About Parallel Dimensions?

1. What is imaging a parallel dimension?

Imaging a parallel dimension is the process of using advanced technology, such as high-powered cameras and sensors, to capture images or data from another dimension that exists alongside our own. This concept is often explored in science fiction and theoretical physics.

2. How is imaging a parallel dimension possible?

The possibility of imaging a parallel dimension is based on the theory of parallel universes, which suggests that there are multiple versions of our universe existing simultaneously. By using advanced technology and mathematical models, scientists are able to capture and interpret images or data from these parallel dimensions.

3. What are the potential applications of imaging a parallel dimension?

Imaging a parallel dimension could have a wide range of potential applications, including gaining a better understanding of the laws of physics in different dimensions, discovering new energy sources, and even potentially communicating with beings from other dimensions.

4. What challenges do scientists face when attempting to image a parallel dimension?

One of the biggest challenges in imaging a parallel dimension is the lack of concrete evidence that these dimensions actually exist. Additionally, the technology required for this type of imaging is still in its early stages and requires significant advancements in order to capture clear and accurate images or data from other dimensions.

5. How does imaging a parallel dimension impact our understanding of the universe?

Imaging a parallel dimension could greatly expand our understanding of the universe and potentially challenge our current theories and beliefs about the laws of physics. This could lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in science and technology.