Can the Direct Sum of Cyclic Groups Determine the Properties of Finite Groups?

In summary, G is a finite group and H = \left\{ {g\in G|g^n = e} \right\} for any n>0. e is identity. However, I can't go the other way. That is, assuming H has at most n elements, I haven't been able to say anything about whether G is cyclic, abelian or neither.
Zaare
Assume G is a finite group and [tex]H = \left\{ {g \in G|g^n = e} \right\}[/tex] for any [tex]n>0[/tex]. e is identity.
I have been able to show that if G is cyclic, then H has at most n elements.
However, I can't go the other way. That is, assuming H has at most n elements, I haven't been able to say anything about whether G is cyclic, abelian or neither.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you add an element to G without adding an element to H?

Look at D_3=S_3 the nonabelian group of order 6. How many elements of order 3 does it have?

Can you add an element to G without adding an element to H?
Since G is a finite group, then every element in G must equal identity for some n. That means that for some n the element must be added to H. So I think the answer is no. But I can't make any connection to my problem.

Look at D_3=S_3 the nonabelian group of order 6. How many elements of order 3 does it have?
If I haven't made any mistakes, it has 2 elements of order 3 and 3 elements of order 2. But that means that H has 3 elements for n=2 (which does not agree with the assumption that H has at most n elements), doesn't it?

I'm quite confused now...

You seem to be treating n as both a constant and a variable -- that might be the source of confusion.

I don't mean to treat n as a variable, only as an unknown constant. Where do I treat it as a variable?

"Since G is a finite group, then every element in G must equal identity for some n. That means that for some n the element must be added to H."

S_3 is a group that has fewer than 3 elements of order 3. How does that not prove useful unless you're being odd about n: at least quantify it: there exists an n, or "for all n".

It apparently seems you wish it to be "for all n", which you didn't bother to specify.

But a certain value of n defines a certain H, so I have to consider the different values n can take.

What I mean is for any n.

So, what you want to prove (or disprove) is that if:

For all n > 0, Hn has no more than n elements

Then G is cyclic?

Yes, and if it's not cyclic: Is it "at least" abelian?

I'm sorry about the poor specification.

Last edited:
try the direct sum of the cyclic groups of orders 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29. and look for elements of order 2.

Related to Can the Direct Sum of Cyclic Groups Determine the Properties of Finite Groups?

1. What are the basic properties of finite groups?

The basic properties of finite groups include closure, associativity, identity element, inverse element, and finite order.

2. How do you determine the order of a finite group?

The order of a finite group is determined by counting the number of elements in the group.

3. Can a finite group have more than one identity element?

No, a finite group can only have one identity element.

4. How are subgroups related to finite groups?

Subgroups are a subset of a finite group that still satisfies the group axioms.

5. What is the significance of cyclic groups in the study of finite groups?

Cyclic groups are important in the study of finite groups because they can be used to classify and understand other groups, and they have a simple and well-defined structure.