Can the dimension of a basis be less than the space that it spans?

In summary, S is a subspace of $\mathbb{R^2}$ with dimension 1, spanned by the vector $(-\frac{3}{2},1)$. To write a vector in the basis $B = \{(-\frac{3}{2},1)\}$, you need to find the linear combination of $(-\frac{3}{2},1)$ that gives the vector. In this case, $u=(-9,6)$ can be written as $6 \cdot (-\frac{3}{2},1)$ in the basis $B$. The coordinate vector of $u$ in terms of $B$ is $[u]_B = [6]$. The dimension
Pedro1
Let S be a subspace of $\mathbb{R^2}$, such that $S=\{(x,y):2x+3y=0 \}$.
Find a basis,$B$, for $S$ and write $u=(-9,6)$ in the $B$ basis.

So, I started to solve $2x+3y=0$ for $x$ and I got $x=-\frac{3}{2}y$. Then I could write,

$\left[ \begin{matrix} x \\ y \end{matrix}\right] = \left[ \begin{matrix} -\frac{3}{2} y \\ y \end{matrix} \right] = y\left[ \begin{matrix} -\frac{3}{2} \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right]$

So I was force to conclued that S is spaned by the vector $(-\frac{3}{2},1)$. My doubt is if it is correct to assume that $\{(-\frac{3}{2},1) \}$ is a basis of $S$. Because, in this circunstances, I don't know how to write the vector $u$ in the basis $B$.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pedro said:

So, I started to solve $2x+3y=0$ for $x$ and I got $x=-\frac{3}{2}y$. Then I could write,

$\left[ \begin{matrix} x \\ y \end{matrix}\right] = \left[ \begin{matrix} -\frac{3}{2} y \\ y \end{matrix} \right] = y\left[ \begin{matrix} -\frac{3}{2} \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right]$

So I was force to conclued that S is spaned by the vector $(-\frac{3}{2},1)$. My doubt is if it is correct to assume that $\{(-\frac{3}{2},1) \}$ is a basis of $S$. Because, in this circunstances, I don't know how to write the vector $u$ in the basis $B$.
Thanks for the help.

Welcome to MHB, Pedro! :)

Yes, you have a correct basis.

To write a vector in a basis, you need to find a linear combination of your basis vectors.
In your case that is $\mathbf u = 6 \cdot (-\frac{3}{2},1)$.

And to answer your question in the thread title, no, the number of vectors in a basis matches the dimension of the space they span by definition.

Pedro said:

Thanks for the help.

We have $\left[ \begin{matrix} -9 \\ 6 \end{matrix}\right]=6\left[ \begin{matrix} -3/2 \\ 1 \end{matrix}\right]$. This implies that the coordinate vector of $u$ a in terms of $B=\{(-3/2,1)\}$ is $_B=[6]$ (only one coordinate).

P.S. Sorry I Like Serena, I had almost completed my post.

Thanks for the help.
I kown the the vector $u$ is on the trivial basis of $\mathbb{R^2}$ and so $(-9,6)=-9(1,0)+6(0,1)$. Normaly what I do is write each vector of the trivial basis as a linear combination of the given basis, in this case $B$.
But,

$(1,0)=\lambda\left (-\frac{3}{2},1 \right )$

I couln't find the $\lambda$.

The dimension of $B$ is $1$, but $S \subset \mathbb{R^2}$ have dimension $2$.

Pedro said:
but $S \subset \mathbb{R^2}$ have dimension $2$.

$S$ has dimension 1. :)

Fernando Revilla said:
$S$ has dimension 1. :)

Well, I thougt that the dimension was the number of vectors that the trivial basis have. In this case $\mathbb{R^2}$ have $2$.

Pedro said:
Well, I thougt that the dimension was the number of vectors that the trivial basis have. In this case $\mathbb{R^2}$ have $2$.

Yes. $\mathbb{R^2}$ has a trivial basis with 2 basis vectors, implying it has 2 dimensions.
Your S has a basis of 1 vector, implying it has 1 dimension.

Related to Can the dimension of a basis be less than the space that it spans?

1. How is the dimension of a basis determined?

The dimension of a basis is determined by the number of linearly independent vectors in the basis. This means that the basis must contain the minimum number of vectors required to span the entire space.

2. Can the dimension of a basis be greater than the space it spans?

No, the dimension of a basis cannot be greater than the space it spans. A basis must contain the minimum number of vectors required to span the entire space, and adding more vectors would make the basis linearly dependent and redundant.

3. What does it mean if the dimension of a basis is less than the space it spans?

If the dimension of a basis is less than the space it spans, it means that there are more vectors in the space than are necessary to span it. This could indicate that the vectors in the space are not linearly independent.

4. Can a basis with a lower dimension still span the entire space?

Yes, a basis with a lower dimension can still span the entire space. This means that the basis contains a subset of vectors that are linearly independent and can represent the entire space.

5. Is the dimension of a basis unique?

Yes, the dimension of a basis is unique. This means that for any given vector space, there is only one possible dimension for its basis, regardless of the specific set of vectors chosen for the basis.