Can the crystal particle expand?

In summary: It is not about heating a crystal, it is about adding more material to a surface and how it forms a crystal structure. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of crystal particle expansion with increasing temperature, and the confusion surrounding the difference between crystal growth and thermal expansion. The expert explains that crystals do expand with increased energy, causing the distance between atoms to vibrate and appear larger, but this is not the same as crystal growth.
mazwan

Homework Statement

With increasing the temperature, can the crystal particle expand? Actually, what really happen to the structure when increase the temperature? Why its look bigger size compare to actual size. Does it mean the crystal of particle expand? or something happen to the particle? Can you explain for me what actually happen?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a "crystal particle", what is its "actual size" (compared to what), and where does it look bigger?

Crystals (usually) expand a bit if they get hot. With increasing energy, the average distance between atoms increases, which can be seen at their potential function.

what i know. the crystals didnt expand. The distance of atoms vibrate and away from each others when increasing the energy. that why the size look bigger. may i right sir? i also still confuse about that. i did an experiment about plasma sputtering now, and i am realize that the size of grain will be increase with increasing the temperature. i don't know the truth theories of the crystal growth?
Thank for explaining that sir.

For me, it is hard to understand your posts.

The distance of atoms vibrate and away from each others when increasing the energy. that why the size look bigger.
As I posted, most crystals increase their size a bit if the temperature increases. The difference is small - you do not see it, you need some measurement tools for that.

i don't know the truth theories of the crystal growth?
Crystal growth is something different.

Yes, a crystal particle can expand with increasing temperature. This is due to the increase in thermal energy within the particle, causing the atoms or molecules within the crystal to vibrate faster and take up more space. This expansion is known as thermal expansion.

As for the structure of the crystal, the increase in temperature can cause the bonds between atoms or molecules to stretch, leading to a slight change in the overall structure. This can also contribute to the particle appearing larger in size compared to its actual size.

It is important to note that the expansion of a crystal particle is not always uniform and can be influenced by factors such as the type of crystal and the direction of the expansion. In some cases, the expansion may also be limited by the surrounding environment or neighboring particles.

In conclusion, the increase in temperature can indeed cause a crystal particle to expand, but the exact amount and mechanism of expansion can vary depending on various factors.

Related to Can the crystal particle expand?

1. Can the crystal particle expand due to temperature changes?

Yes, crystal particles can expand due to temperature changes. When the temperature increases, the particles gain energy and start moving faster, causing them to vibrate and take up more space. This expansion can be reversed when the temperature decreases.

2. Is expansion of crystal particles reversible?

Yes, the expansion of crystal particles is reversible. When the temperature changes again, the particles will either contract or expand to reach a new equilibrium depending on the direction of the temperature change.

3. Can external pressure cause crystal particles to expand?

Yes, external pressure can cause crystal particles to expand. When pressure is applied to a crystal, it can cause the particles to shift and take up more space. This expansion can also be reversed when the pressure is released.

4. How does the expansion of crystal particles affect the overall size of a crystal?

The expansion of crystal particles can affect the overall size of a crystal by increasing its dimensions. However, this expansion is usually very small and not visible to the naked eye. It can only be observed with precise measurements or under a microscope.

5. Can the expansion of crystal particles cause structural damage to a crystal?

Yes, the expansion of crystal particles can cause structural damage to a crystal if the expansion is too rapid or excessive. This can result in cracks or fractures in the crystal. Therefore, it is important to carefully control temperature and pressure changes when working with crystals to prevent damage.