Can the Capacitor QT Equation Help Reduce Noise in Amplifiers?

• Thread starter JackDixon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation discusses a missing minus sign in a model and the presence of electromagnetic noise in amplifiers. It is noted that the model is accurate up to nine orders of magnitude and that noise can be a significant issue in circuits.
JackDixon
Homework Statement
Good evening. I have just done a course in physics about exponential decay, and had a (very) pedantic question about the equation for the discharge of a capacitor. My logic goes like this: the exponential equation for working out how much charge remains in a capacitor is asymptotic of Q=0 by the model I have been shown no matter what value of t has elapsed since the beginning of discharge. I understand that this is a very good model for predicting out comes, but I cannot think of a mechanism by which there will always be a small charge left in the capacitor- especially when t is sufficiently large enough so that Q<1.6E-19C, which is the charge of an electron. Can anyone provide an updated mathematical model, or possibly explain why my logic is wrong?
Thanks!
Relevant Equations
Equation in solution attempt.
QT=Q0et/τ

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jack, ##\quad## :welcome: ##\quad## !

First thing that comes to mind is to note a minus sign is missing :rolleyes: .

And then I'd say nothing's wrong with the model down to nine or so orders of magnitude. By then the discharging voltage disappears in the noise due to other effects (electromagnetic noise). That's generally considered pretty good for a model...

Likes DaveE and JackDixon
BvU said:
Hello Jack, ##\quad## :welcome: ##\quad## !

First thing that comes to mind is to note a minus sign is missing :rolleyes: .

And then I'd say nothing's wrong with the model down to nine or so orders of magnitude. By then the discharging voltage disappears in the noise due to other effects (electromagnetic noise). That's generally considered pretty good for a model...
Ok, so it is fact a model. I didn't know EM noise was a thing. Thank you :)

Noise can be quite a problem in many circuits, for example when you are trying to amplify very weak radio signals. Amplifiers not only magnify the wanted signal but they also magnify any noise that comes with the signal and they add some noise themselves. "Instrumentation and noise" is a common university module for undergraduate electronics engineers.

Related to Can the Capacitor QT Equation Help Reduce Noise in Amplifiers?

1. What is the Capacitor QT Equation?

The Capacitor QT Equation is a mathematical formula that represents the charge on a capacitor as a function of time. It is also known as the exponential charging equation and is commonly used in circuit analysis.

2. What do the variables in the Capacitor QT Equation represent?

The variables in the Capacitor QT Equation represent the following:
- Q0: initial charge on the capacitor
- e: Euler's number (approximately 2.718)
- t: time
- τ (tau): time constant of the circuit, determined by the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit

3. How is the Capacitor QT Equation derived?

The Capacitor QT Equation can be derived from the fundamental equations of capacitance and Ohm's law. By combining these equations, we can obtain an expression for the charge on a capacitor as a function of time.

4. What is the significance of the time constant (τ) in the Capacitor QT Equation?

The time constant (τ) in the Capacitor QT Equation represents the time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge to approximately 63% of its maximum value. It is a measure of the rate at which a capacitor charges or discharges in a circuit.

5. How is the Capacitor QT Equation used in practical applications?

The Capacitor QT Equation is used in practical applications to analyze and design circuits involving capacitors. It can be used to calculate the charge on a capacitor at any given time, the time it takes for a capacitor to fully charge or discharge, and the behavior of a capacitor in different circuit configurations.