Can the Bohr Model really prevent electron energy loss?

In summary, despite Bohr's model being outdated, one important aspect of it remains - the quantized orbiting radii of electrons. This addresses the flaw in Rutherford's model where electrons were predicted to lose energy through photon emission and spiral into the nucleus. However, it is still unclear why electrons do not radiate while in these discrete orbits, as Bohr did not provide an explanation for this in his model.
planck42
Even though Bohr's model is defunct, one important element of it survived, namely the strictly quantized orbiting radii of electrons. Supposedly this mended the gaping flaw of Rutherford's model in that it predicted that electrons would no longer lose energy to photon emission thereby causing them to spiral in their nucleus and all that well-known stuff. My question is how? How does limiting the possible orbits of an electron to specified energy levels in any way prevent energy loss from leading to the downfall of everything?

Physics news on Phys.org
planck42 said:
Even though Bohr's model is defunct, one important element of it survived, namely the strictly quantized orbiting radii of electrons.
:confused: That it puts electrons in orbits is the main error in Bohr's model.

The energy levels remained, but electrons are smeared throughout the entire shell, rather than occupying a single point and orbiting around.

I'm getting my atomic theory models all mixed up! I appreciate the clarification, but it does not answer the actual question.

Bohr basically postulated that the electrons don't radiate when they are in one of the discrete "Bohr orbits." As far as I know, he didn't have an explanation for why they don't radiate as classical electrodynamics predicts they should.

jtbell said:
Bohr basically postulated that the electrons don't radiate when they are in one of the discrete "Bohr orbits." As far as I know, he didn't have an explanation for why they don't radiate as classical electrodynamics predicts they should.

o_O? That's interesting. Thank you for [somewhat] clarifying the matter.

Related to Can the Bohr Model really prevent electron energy loss?

What is the Bohr Model?

The Bohr Model is a simplified model of the atomic structure proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the arrangement of electrons in an atom, with a central nucleus containing protons and neutrons, and electrons orbiting the nucleus in specific energy levels.

What is the significance of the Bohr Model?

The Bohr Model was significant in understanding the atomic structure and its behavior. It helped explain the stability of atoms, the emission of light from atoms, and the concept of energy quantization in atoms. It also paved the way for further development of quantum mechanics.

What are the limitations of the Bohr Model?

The Bohr Model is limited in its ability to fully describe the behavior of electrons in atoms. It does not account for the wave-like nature of electrons and the uncertainty principle. It also does not explain the behavior of heavier elements and molecules.

How does the Bohr Model differ from the modern atomic model?

The Bohr Model differs from the modern atomic model in that it only describes the electrons' motion in circular orbits around the nucleus, while the modern model incorporates the concept of electron probability clouds and the different shapes of orbitals.

What are some real-life applications of the Bohr Model?

The Bohr Model is used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to understand the behavior of atoms in chemical reactions, the structure of molecules, and the principles of nuclear energy. It also serves as a basis for the development of technologies such as lasers and semiconductors.