Can the acceleration of the proton be negative for this situation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnitude and direction of acceleration for protons and electrons in an electric field near the Earth's surface. It is determined that the acceleration for both particles is positive, but the sign depends on the chosen coordinate system. The calculated acceleration for the electron is also positive, despite it having a negative charge.
NasuSama
I asked this question because I think that acceleration could be positive (though I may be wrong.)

Homework Statement

The electric field near the Earth's surface has magnitude of about [itex]150 \text{N/C} [/itex]. What is the acceleration of the proton?

Homework Equations

Clearly, we need to use these formulas

[itex]E = \dfrac{F}{q}[/itex]
[itex]F = ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Combine the first two equations, we obtain

[itex]E = \dfrac{ma}{q}[/itex]

Let [itex]m[/itex] be the mass of the proton and [itex]q[/itex] be the charge of the proton. Then,

[itex]a = \dfrac{Eq}{m}[/itex]

Thus by substitution, I obtain

[itex]a = \dfrac{(150 \mbox{N/C})(-1.6 \times 10^{-19} \mbox{C})}{1.67 \times 10^{-27} \mbox{kg}}[/itex]
[itex]a \approx -1.44 \times 10^{10} \mbox{m}/\mbox{s}^2[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A proton has a positive charge (and you are off by 10 orders of magnitude with its absolute value).
The magnitude of the acceleration is always positive, the sign of the acceleration depends on the (arbitrary) direction of your coordinate.

mfb said:
A proton has a positive charge (and you are off by 10 orders of magnitude with its absolute value).
The magnitude of the acceleration is always positive, the sign of the acceleration depends on the (arbitrary) direction of your coordinate.

I get it by now. What about the acceleration of the electron? I calculated it for my online HW, and I found that the acceleration of the electron in the same electric field is [itex]2.6 \times 10^{13} \mbox{m}/\mbox{s}^2[/itex]. The online HW system marks it correct. Is it true that acceleration is also positive?

The sign of the acceleration is meaningless if you do not use a specific coordinate system. The acceleration of electrons and protons happens in the opposite direction.

Likes 1 person
I see by now. Thanks for your help.

Related to Can the acceleration of the proton be negative for this situation?

1. Can the acceleration of the proton be negative in an electric field?

Yes, the acceleration of the proton can be negative in an electric field. This occurs when the proton is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, causing its velocity to decrease.

2. What factors determine the direction of the proton's acceleration?

The direction of the proton's acceleration is determined by the direction and strength of the electric field it is in, as well as the mass and charge of the proton.

3. Is a negative acceleration for a proton always a sign of deceleration?

No, a negative acceleration for a proton does not necessarily mean it is decelerating. It depends on the direction of the electric field and the proton's initial velocity.

4. Can a proton have both positive and negative acceleration in the same electric field?

Yes, a proton can have both positive and negative acceleration in the same electric field. This can occur if the proton is moving in a curved path or if it is changing direction within the field.

5. How is the acceleration of a proton related to its kinetic energy?

The acceleration of a proton is directly related to its kinetic energy. As its acceleration increases, so does its kinetic energy, and vice versa.