Can String Theory Predict the Mass of Leptons?

In summary: I distinctly remember reading a book which said that the result of an experiment, which it described in detail, was that the electron showed no mass beyond itself inductance. now the book may have been wrong but I know what I read.
Stratos
Do we have prediction of Lepton mass (Electron, muon, tau) from any “Theory of everything” ?

PS
The string theory is here for decades. If string theory is truly a “theory of everything”, the Lepton mass should be predicted all ready.

what is the status to this issue ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Koide formula

granpa said:
Koide formula

The string theory predict the Koide formula from basic principles?

[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koide_formula
Not only is this result odd in that three apparently random numbers should give a simple fraction, but also that Q is exactly halfway between the two extremes of 1/3 and 1.
This result has never been explained nor understood.
]

We expect from the "Theory of Everything" to explained the Koide formula

PS
Frankly speaking we expect to have all the arbitrary parameters of the standard model to be explained from first principle

I just realized that the koide formula allows for the possibility of a fourth lepton of mass zero. I know that it used to be believed that the electron had no mass and that this belief was indeed based on some kind of experimental evidence. I wonder what the experiment was?

It was never believed that electrons had no mass. The electron discovery is usually credited to J.J. Thomson, who first measured q/m for the electron. So from the point of its discovery, it was known to be massive.

somebody believed it. I remember reading about it. but I can't remember where. maybe someday it will come to me.

As you might expect, that's not a terribly compelling reference.

Do we agree that before the electron was discovered it doesn't make any sense to talk about its mass? And do we agree that after the electron was discovered it was known to have mass? If you agree with those statements, you have to believe the logical conclusion that there was never a time when electrons were thought to be massless.

who are you arguing with??

I said that I once read something where someone said the electron was massless. I asked if anyone knew anything about it or the experiment that they referred to.

granpa said:
I said that I once read something where someone said the electron was massless. I asked if anyone knew anything about it or the experiment that they referred to.

You said more than that - you said there was experimental evidence for this. For the reasons I gave, I do not believe that what you said is correct.

The OT mentioned leptons in general. Perhaps you mixed up the electron with the neutrinos? which were originally believed to be massless. In the original "standard model" neutrions were assumed massless, but now there are indications that they might have have mass, although a tiny one. But the fundamental understanding of the origin of neutrino masses is on the list of open problems in physics, as well as the other parameters of the standard model.

String theory seems so far to rather than reduce the number of free parameters, increase them.

/Fredrik

the idea was that the mass of the electron could be explained purely by itself inductance (if its electric field extended far enough down). so it was thought to be massless but at the same time it wasnt thought to be massless.

but I retract any suggestion that a massless charged particle might actually exist. I far as I know that would not be allowed by quantum mechanics.

I distinctly remember reading a book which said that the result of an experiment, which it described in detail, was that the electron showed no mass beyond itself inductance. now the book may have been wrong but I know what I read. I just can't remember what book it was.

Related to Can String Theory Predict the Mass of Leptons?

1. What is the significance of predicting the mass of leptons?

Predicting the mass of leptons is important because it helps us understand the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It also allows us to test and refine theories, and potentially discover new physics beyond our current understanding.

2. How do scientists predict the mass of leptons?

Scientists use mathematical models and theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, to make predictions about the masses of leptons. They also conduct experiments, such as colliding particles at high energies, to gather data and test these predictions.

3. Can the mass of leptons change over time?

According to the Standard Model, the mass of leptons is a fundamental property that remains constant. However, some theories suggest that the mass of leptons may change depending on the energy scale or environment they are in.

4. How accurate are predictions of lepton mass?

The predictions of lepton mass are very accurate, with current experimental measurements matching the predicted values to within a few decimal places. However, there are still some discrepancies that scientists are working to understand and potentially refine our predictions even further.

5. Can predicting the mass of leptons lead to new discoveries?

Yes, predicting the mass of leptons can lead to new discoveries. For example, the discovery of the Higgs boson was a result of predicting its mass within the Standard Model. Additionally, discrepancies between predicted and measured masses could potentially indicate the presence of new particles or interactions that have yet to be discovered.