Can Staring at Stars Really Make You Deaf?

• Thread starter lola.bonane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation discussed the belief that looking at stars for too long can make a person deaf due to special electromagnetic waves. However, the conversation points out that stars do not make any sound and that the Sun, which is a star, is present during the day as well. The conclusion was that this belief is not true and that there is no reason to continue discussing it.
lola.bonane
my teacher told me that if i look at the stars too long i become deaf since the stars emit special elctromagnetic waves which make my ears not work properly. but i don't get why. because stars don't make any sound...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
so now i don't go outside at night since there are the stars there, and for the love of my life, i want to keep my hearing :)

but my boyfriend sometimes wants to kiss me under the stars, and i have to refuse, and drag him inside. I'm in quite a sticky situation here, and i would prefer science to be on my side rather than heresy.

Your teacher is an idiot.

Also, the stars are there during the day; you just cannot see them.

And most critical of all, the Sun is a star. If the premise were true, we'd all be deaf.

Last edited:
This topic is too silly to continue.
No, stars won't make you deaf, and out of 3 possibilities, none justifies continuing this:
- you are talking nonsense, you've been smoking prohibited stuff or been drinking or whatever
- your teacher is talking nonsense, has been smoking prohibited stuff, or has been drinking too much, or he's completely nuts.
- you didn't get a joke your teacher was telling you

In none of these cases, I see the interest of continuing this thread.

Related to Can Staring at Stars Really Make You Deaf?

1. What does "Stars are making me deaf" mean?

"Stars are making me deaf" is a phrase that is often used metaphorically to describe someone being overwhelmed or unable to hear due to extreme excitement or amazement. It is not meant to be taken literally, as stars do not have the ability to cause deafness.

2. Why do some people experience hearing loss after attending a concert or event with loud music?

Exposure to loud noises, including loud music, can damage the hair cells in our inner ear that are responsible for hearing. With repeated exposure, this damage can become permanent and result in hearing loss. It is important to protect our ears by wearing earplugs at loud events and limiting exposure to loud noises.

3. Can stars actually produce sound waves that can cause deafness?

No, stars do not produce sound waves that can cause deafness. Sound waves require a medium, such as air, to travel and stars do not have this medium in space. Additionally, the distance between stars and Earth is too great for any sound waves to reach us.

4. How can we protect our ears from loud noises?

To protect our ears from loud noises, we can wear earplugs or earmuffs, limit our exposure to loud noises, and give our ears breaks in quiet environments. It is also important to monitor the volume of devices such as headphones and limit exposure to loud music.

5. Is hearing loss from loud noises preventable?

In many cases, hearing loss from loud noises is preventable by taking precautions such as wearing earplugs, limiting exposure to loud noises, and monitoring the volume of devices. However, some types of hearing loss, such as age-related hearing loss, cannot be completely prevented but can be managed with the help of hearing aids and other assistive devices.