Can space itself act as an fuel?

In summary: Now I do realize that these kind of ships would be way larger than even the biggest planets in our solar system, but I just started thinking about it when I saw this guy claiming dark energy couldn't be harvested. I mean, it's pushing physical planets away so logically it just doesn't make sense to me that this stuff can't be harvested.Yes, dark energy is pushing physical planets away. But that doesn't mean it can't be harvested.
ForcaNL
Hey guys,

I've been running this though experiment in my head for a while now and to be honest, I am not that much of a physics guy so I figured I'd ask a few questions to see if what I'm thinking about it even physically possible. (Not that it is even realistic, but hey.. who cares right?)

From what I understand about the subject, space is expanding, at an accelerating speed. Since space is expanding at all points, the bigger the space, the bigger the expansion. (Note one: Since this force is basically pushing galaxies and stuff, there should be a lot of energy if you gather up a lot of space right?)

Now let's say that hypothetically you put this huge balloon in space, this should technically blow itself up right? But what if, you have a closed room which won't allow itself to expand, could you redirect the energy of this expansion into an engine and make this turn? (Or would the expansion also take place in say, the atoms between the "space-ship" itself, thus dissolve itself or break?)

Now I do realize that these kind of ships would be way larger than even the biggest planets in our solar system, but I just started thinking about it when I saw this guy claiming dark energy couldn't be harvested. I mean, it's pushing physical planets away so logically it just doesn't make sense to me that this stuff can't be harvested.

Cheers

Stephan

Space news on Phys.org
There are lots of thought experiments that touch on this area. The Tethered Galaxy is one of the most well-known.
One reason none of them can be put into practice is that to use this 'energy' you need to connect something on Earth to something millions of light years away by something like a wire. We don't have enough wire, couldn't reel it out and if we did it would break.
And that's before we even grapple with how we firmly knot the end of a wire around a galaxy.
A balloon would require even more material, and thereby be even more impractical.

ForcaNL said:
Now let's say that hypothetically you put this huge balloon in space, this should technically blow itself up right? But what if, you have a closed room which won't allow itself to expand, could you redirect the energy of this expansion into an engine and make this turn? (Or would the expansion also take place in say, the atoms between the "space-ship" itself, thus dissolve itself or break?)
No, even a galaxy size balloon will only 'blow up' a little larger than what it would have done without accelerated expansion and then settle where the "cosmic tidal force" is equal to the "stretch-force" in the material of the balloon (that is unless the material is not strong enough and simply breaks). As for extracting useful energy? Not practical.

Related to Can space itself act as an fuel?

1. Can space itself be used as a fuel?

No, space itself cannot be used as a fuel. Space is a vacuum, meaning it is mostly empty and does not contain any substances that can be burned or converted into energy.

2. Is there a way to use the properties of space as a fuel source?

There are some theories and concepts that suggest it may be possible to harness the energy of space, such as through the use of dark energy or dark matter. However, these are still hypothetical and require further research and development.

3. Why can't we use the energy from the sun or other stars as fuel in space?

The energy from the sun or other stars cannot be used as a fuel source in space because it is difficult to capture and store this energy in a usable form. Additionally, the amount of energy that reaches a spacecraft in deep space is very small compared to what is needed for propulsion.

4. Are there any potential risks or consequences of using space as a fuel source?

There are many potential risks and consequences associated with using space as a fuel source. These include damaging the delicate balance of the universe, interfering with other space missions, and potentially causing unknown effects on Earth and other planets.

5. Are there any current technologies or methods for using space as a fuel?

No, there are currently no technologies or methods that allow for the use of space itself as a fuel source. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to explore the potential of harnessing the energy of space in the future.