Can someone reformulate an instant ice pack to be colder?

• Thread starter Natureknows
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, there is a need for a disposable instant ice pack with a temperature range of -15 deg F, but current options only reach 30-40 deg F. Attempts to increase the ammonium nitrate content have not yielded significant results. Safety and cost are important factors in choosing materials for consumer ice packs, but if these are not limiting factors, other options with stronger endothermic reactions should be considered.
Natureknows
I'm working on a new invention that requires a disposable instant ice pack using ammonium nitrate and water. I need the temperature of this new ice pack to get within the range of -15 deg F
I have tried using larger quantities of ammonium nitrate but was only able to lower the temperature 6-8 degrees colder...nothing significant. Current disposable ice pack reach 30-40 deg F and are required by the EPA to maintain this temp for 20 minutes to qualify as an ice pack. Mine would only need to stay cold for a 2-3 minutes.

I've read that most instant ice packs typically use less than 28% nitrogen in its formulation. Maybe increasing the nitrogen content would work?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You want a more strongly endothermic reaction.

Components in consumer ice packs are chosen for their safety and cost as well as their temperature properties.

If you are not limited by safety or cost, you should consider other materials.

Do some searches for most effective endothermic reactions.

Dr. Courtney said:
You want a more strongly endothermic reaction.

Components in consumer ice packs are chosen for their safety and cost as well as their temperature properties.

If you are not limited by safety or cost, you should consider other materials.

Do some searches for most effective endothermic reactions.

Thanks Dr. Courtney for your insight. Yes I need a stronger endothermic reaction. I was hoping to reformulate ammonium nitrate as it is safe for consumers (sealed in a thick poly bag) and a low cost material but I will look into other materials as well.

Related to Can someone reformulate an instant ice pack to be colder?

1. How does an instant ice pack work?

An instant ice pack typically contains two separate compartments, one containing water and the other containing ammonium nitrate or calcium ammonium nitrate. When the pack is squeezed, the barrier between the compartments breaks, allowing the chemicals to mix and create an endothermic reaction that absorbs heat from the surrounding environment and cools down the pack.

2. Can the temperature of an instant ice pack be increased?

No, the temperature of an instant ice pack cannot be increased. The temperature is determined by the chemical reaction taking place inside the pack and cannot be altered without changing the ingredients or formula of the pack.

3. How can an instant ice pack be made colder?

One way to make an instant ice pack colder is by using a higher concentration of the chemicals responsible for the endothermic reaction. However, this may also make the pack more dangerous to handle and store. Another option is to add additional ingredients that can help enhance the cooling effect, such as menthol or camphor.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a colder instant ice pack?

Yes, using a colder instant ice pack can increase the risk of skin damage or frostbite if the pack is left on the skin for too long. It is important to always follow the instructions and recommended usage time for any instant ice pack.

5. Can someone reformulate an instant ice pack to be colder without compromising safety?

It is possible to reformulate an instant ice pack to be colder without compromising safety, but it would require extensive research and testing to ensure that the pack is still safe to use. Changing the ingredients or concentration of the chemicals involved in the endothermic reaction should be done carefully and with expert knowledge in chemistry and materials science.