Can someone quickly clarify the answer for this?

• Thread starter Lori
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a physics exam involving an object with a mass of 5.0 kg and two applied forces (6.0 N to the north and 8.0 N to the west). The question asks for the magnitude of the acceleration of the object, and the answer is determined to be 2.0 m/s^2. There is confusion regarding whether or not to include the force of gravity, but it is ultimately determined that it should not be included based on the given information. It is suggested that the question should have specified that the object is resting on a smooth horizontal surface.
Lori

Homework Statement

Two forces are applied to a 5.0 kg object, one is 6.0 N to the north and the other is 8.0N to the west. What is magnitude of the acceleration of the object?

1. .5 m/s2
2. 2.0
3. 2.8
4. 10
5. 50

The answer is 2) 2.0 m/s^2 buttt

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

When i drew the free body diagram, i put the weight of the object as another force , but apparently, that is not correct and the only two forces would be the ones given. .. Why can't i include the force due to gravity? Isn't not implied in this problem? (This is a question from a physics exam)

I mean cause the problems gives the object mass... so wouldn't it have force due to gravity? I'm just scared that ill mess this up on the real exam...

Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2017-11-5_17-8-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-5_17-8-47.png
    upload_2017-11-5_17-8-47.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 244
Where do you get the answer 2 m/s² from?

For the first diagram which would be the correct one has Fnet = 10. So a = 10/5 = 2.0m/s.

If I did it for the other diagram with Fg... then a = around 8 which isn't an answer

Lori said:
For the first diagram which would be the correct one has Fnet = 10. So a = 10/5 = 2.0m/s.

If I did it for the other diagram with Fg... then a = around 8 which isn't an answer

Well, I think you've understand how to find the correct answer - with and without gravity. To find an unambiguous text for a question in an exam is not always easy. But you found the correct question by comparing the answers. Be confident for the exams, you could write both solutions and questions regarding the task normally should be answered. Of course, there is no guarantee not to misunderstand the question with all the assumptions and simplifications made.

Likes Lori
stockzahn said:
Well, I think you've understand how to find the correct answer - with and without gravity. To find an unambiguous text for a question in an exam is not always easy. But you found the correct question by comparing the answers. Be confident for the exams, you could write both solutions and questions regarding the task normally should be answered. Of course, there is no guarantee not to misunderstand the question with all the assumptions and simplifications made.

Understood! :) Thanks!

Lori said:
Why can't i include the force due to gravity?
It is not clear from your diagram which directions the three forces are in. If you include gravity they will be mutually at right angles, but it looks like you have the 6N and mg both vertical. You should have got 10.1.
I agree that the question should have stated "... resting on a smooth horizontal floor".

Related to Can someone quickly clarify the answer for this?

1. What do you mean by "clarify the answer"?

"Clarify the answer" means to provide additional information or explanation in order to make the answer more understandable or clear.

2. Can you provide an example of clarifying an answer?

Yes, for example, if someone asks "What is the capital of France?", a simple answer could be "Paris". However, if the person is not familiar with France, you may need to clarify by saying "Paris is the capital of France, which means it is the most important city in the country and where the government is located."

3. What is the importance of clarifying an answer?

Clarifying an answer is important because it ensures that the information is understood correctly and eliminates any confusion or misunderstandings. It also helps provide a more comprehensive understanding of the topic being discussed.

4. How can someone quickly clarify an answer?

There are a few ways to quickly clarify an answer. One way is to use simple and concise language that is easy to understand. Another way is to provide examples or analogies to help illustrate the answer. Additionally, using visual aids such as diagrams or charts can also help clarify an answer quickly.

5. Is it necessary to clarify an answer every time?

It is not always necessary to clarify an answer, but it is important to do so when the topic or information being discussed is complex or unfamiliar to the person asking the question. It is also helpful to clarify an answer if there is a language barrier or if there are multiple possible interpretations of the answer. In general, it is better to err on the side of clarifying an answer to ensure understanding.