Can someone please solve this physics problem?

• Thread starter matt jordan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving an object being shot vertically upward with an initial velocity and air resistance. The main question is to find the velocity and time at maximum height. The conversation also includes reminders to show effort and follow PF schoolwork rules.
matt jordan
I won't necessarily understand it unless it's solved so I can go through all the steps, it would be greatly appreciated. It's a practice book work problem.

Suppose an object of mass 2 slugs is shot vertically upward with an initial velocity of Vo = 200 ft/sec. Assume that air resistance is proportional to instantaneous velocity. Acceleration due to gravity is = 32 ft/sec^2 (with k=0.03)

a) Find velocity of object at time t

b) Find the time it takes for the object to reach its max height

Physics news on Phys.org
let u = initial velocity g = gravitational acceleration maximum height
using u^2 / 2g = h, h = 625ft (max height)
since t = (v1 - v2)/a , t for max height = (200-0)/32 = 6.25s
If you want to find the velocity for time t, sub your values back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much, but can you please show what you mean by "plug in values in"...like I said it's better for me to see step by step, I haven't taken physics in years.

You seem to have calculated u2/g2, not u2/2g.
And you have ignored air resistance. (I assume k = 0.03 is the proportionality of air resistance to instantaneous velocity.)
Can you write an equation for the force acting on the object at any instant? What is its acceleration? What is its velocity and height as a function of time?
OP, you are expected to show some work of your own before receiving help. You have had some hints, what can you make of them?

mjc123 said:
You seem to have calculated u2/g2, not u2/2g.
And you have ignored air resistance. (I assume k = 0.03 is the proportionality of air resistance to instantaneous velocity.)
Can you write an equation for the force acting on the object at any instant? What is its acceleration? What is its velocity and height as a function of time?
OP, you are expected to show some work of your own before receiving help. You have had some hints, what can you make of them?
no wonder the height did not make sense to me, i have miscalculated

Sorry mjc this is my first time on the forums, can you solve this one for me and I will go on and show work in the future before asking help? This problem has been really bugging me.

Thread closed for Moderation.

matt jordan said:
Sorry mjc this is my first time on the forums, can you solve this one for me and I will go on and show work in the future before asking help? This problem has been really bugging me.
No, absolutely not. It is against the PF schoolwork rules for any of us to do your homework/schoolwork for you. Please re-read the PF Rules (see INFO at the top of the page), and check your PMs.

@awpbash and @mjc123 -- It is also against the PF Rules for you to provide help when the poster has shown no effort. They must post using the Homework Help Template and fill out all the sections, including their Attempt at a Solution. Please in the future if you see a post like this with no effort and asking for the solution, click the Report link on the post to let the Mentors know to handle it.

Thread will stay closed.

Likes cnh1995

Related to Can someone please solve this physics problem?

1. How do I know if someone can solve my physics problem?

There is no guarantee that someone will be able to solve your specific physics problem. However, posting your problem on a forum or asking a knowledgeable friend or tutor may increase your chances of finding a solution.

2. Why am I struggling to solve this physics problem?

Physics problems can be challenging and require a deep understanding of the underlying concepts. It is common to struggle with certain problems, but don't be discouraged. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed.

3. Can someone solve my physics problem for me?

While it is possible for someone to solve your physics problem, it is important to remember that simply getting the answer without understanding the process will not benefit you in the long run. It is important to actively engage in the problem-solving process in order to truly learn and understand the concepts.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is through practice. Work through a variety of problems and seek help when needed. You can also try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and building up to the solution.

5. What resources are available to help me solve physics problems?

There are many resources available to help you solve physics problems, including textbooks, online forums, tutors, and study groups. Utilize these resources to gain a better understanding of the concepts and improve your problem-solving skills.