Can someone me out with free body diagrams

In summary, a horizontal force with magnitude A is acting on a pulley as shown. The two masses, p and P, are moving together, with the same acceleration. However, p is trying to fall to the left, but the tension from the rope and the static friction is keeping it in place.
mystmyst
**a horizontal force with magnitude A is acting on a pulley as shown. the two masses p and P are moving together, same acceleration. p is trying to fall to the left but the tension from the rope and the static friction is keeping it in place.

Everything else you need to know is in my two images:

[PLAIN]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2193/mymechanicsquestion.png

Free body diagram:

[PLAIN]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7249/isolatedstatic.png Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mystmyst! :smile:

(first, i don't understand what the pulley is attached to … and if the blocks aren't relatively moving, how can there be any tension in the rope? :confused:)

(1) you can always do either separate diagrams (and equations) or a single one; if there's no relative motion, there's no point in separate diagrams

your NP down is wrong, an fbd should only have the forces on the body, so only the upward force in this case (and anyway Np = NP … Newton's third law)

btw, use m and M not p and P … p and P are too similar, especially in handwriting :wink:

(2) yes, if the pulley is frictionless, the tensions are the same, and if there's no acceleration then A = 2T

(3-5) i don't really understand your questions

anyway, a friction force goes on the diagram in exactly the same way whether it's kinetic or static

A horizontal force with Magnitude A is acting on the pulley.
Since there is static friction between p and P, the bodies are moving together.
p is trying to fall off to the left but the tension from the rope and the friction is keeping it in place.

1) what is relative motion?

Why is my Np down wrong? Np is acting upward on the large mass which means it has the equal reaction downward for the small mass. Newton's 3rd law?

2) So, even though the bodies are moving, does A=2T? or does it must mean that A > 2T since if A=2T then the bodies wouldn't be moving?

3) u answered

4+5) I am asking if those vectors are correct. It's another Newtons 3rd law of motion. since there friction to the right on the small mass, there's frictoin to the left on the large mass. and 5 is, since there's frictoin on the large mass to the right, there's frictoin on the ground to the left. I'm asking if that's correct.

mystmyst said:
A horizontal force with Magnitude A is acting on the pulley.

yes, but what is the axle of the pulley attached to? :confused:

or is it completely free, except that A is pulling it?
1) what is relative motion?

i meant, if one block is moving relative to the other block
Why is my Np down wrong? Np is acting upward on the large mass which means it has the equal reaction downward for the small mass. Newton's 3rd law?

you can't have both force on the same diagram: one is on the body, the other is from the body: you can only have forces on the body
2) So, even though the bodies are moving, does A=2T? or does it must mean that A > 2T since if A=2T then the bodies wouldn't be moving?

moving never matters in a force diagram, only accelerating

if there's no acceleration, the forces will sum to zero (A = 2T)
4+5) I am asking if those vectors are correct. It's another Newtons 3rd law of motion. since there friction to the right on the small mass, there's frictoin to the left on the large mass. and 5 is, since there's frictoin on the large mass to the right, there's frictoin on the ground to the left. I'm asking if that's correct.

yes, the friction in the diagram for one body will always be equal and opposite to the friction v in the diagram for the other body :wink:

O. I think I get it. The N_P down is wrong for the small mass but I should have a N_p down for the large mass.

Yup! :biggrin:

yay tiny-tim! you rockk!

PF should really get a thank you button. and also a like button...

Related to Can someone me out with free body diagrams

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a graphical representation of all the forces acting on a single object. It shows the magnitude and direction of each force, and is used to analyze the motion of the object.

2. Why are free body diagrams important?

Free body diagrams are important because they help us understand the forces at play in a given system. They allow us to accurately model and predict the motion of objects, and are essential in many areas of science and engineering.

3. How do I create a free body diagram?

To create a free body diagram, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object in question. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label each force with an arrow, indicating its direction and magnitude. It is important to include all relevant forces, including gravity, normal force, friction, and applied forces.

4. Can you give an example of using a free body diagram?

Sure! Let's say you are trying to analyze the motion of a ball rolling down a ramp. You would start by drawing a diagram of the ball with arrows representing the force of gravity pulling it down the ramp, and the normal force pushing it up. You may also need to include the force of friction acting on the ball. By analyzing these forces, you can determine the acceleration and velocity of the ball as it rolls down the ramp.

5. Are there any limitations to using free body diagrams?

While free body diagrams are a useful tool, they do have some limitations. They assume that all forces are acting in a single plane and that the object is in equilibrium or moving at a constant velocity. They also do not take into account more complex factors such as air resistance or rotational motion. As with any model, it is important to understand the assumptions and limitations when using free body diagrams.