Can someone help me with an analytical dynamics exercise?

In summary: See the rules of the PF.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of curvature and change of speed of a particle at a certain instant, given its velocity and acceleration vectors. The solution involves constructing a unit vector parallel to the velocity vector and using it to find the parallel acceleration. The curvature can then be found using a formula involving the velocity and perpendicular acceleration. The conversation also mentions the importance of showing work and using the Homework Help Template when posting schoolwork questions on the PF.
Doney Felipe MEjia
Thread moved from the technical forums -- poster is reminded to post in HH and show their work
At a certain instant, the velocity and acceleration of a particle ar defined by v= 3i + 4j - 6k m/s and a=-2i + 3k m/s2. Find the radius of curvature and change of speed of the particle at the instant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doney Felipe MEjia said:
change of speed of the particle at the instant
you mean, the rate of change of speed, that is acceleration parallel to the trajectory, right?
I also assume, that i, j, k refer to unit vectors along x, y, z coordinates, respectively.
This is not a hard thing to do. First, you have to construct a unit vector parallel to the velocity vector ## \hat v =\frac{ \vec v }{]v]} ##.
The parallel acceleration is just a projection of the acceleration onto direction of ## \hat v ## , that is ## a_{\parallel} = \hat v * (\hat v \cdot \vec a) ##
That will give you the answer to the second of your question.
The curvature can be found from the formula ## \frac {v^2} r = a_{\perp} ## where ## a_{\perp} = \vec a - a_{\parallel} ##

I hope that I gave you enough hints. If you have any more questions, let me know.
H

oh man, thank you so much! It's really easy to do now, but I was confused about it! I have another question from the other exercise but I want to keep trying solve this exercise. if I don't get to solve it, I'll request your help again. Thanks H.

Doney Felipe MEjia said:
oh man, thank you so much! It's really easy to do now, but I was confused about it! I have another question from the other exercise but I want to keep trying solve this exercise. if I don't get to solve it, I'll request your help again. Thanks H.
Please check your Personal Messages. Schoolwork questions must be posted in the Homework Help forums (where I moved this thread of yours), and you must use the Homework Help Template and show your work when posting schoolwork questions on the PF.

Related to Can someone help me with an analytical dynamics exercise?

1. What is analytical dynamics?

Analytical dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion of objects using mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and Lagrange's equations.

2. Why do I need help with an analytical dynamics exercise?

Analytical dynamics exercises can be complex and require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. Seeking help can help clarify any confusion and improve your understanding of the subject.

3. How can someone help me with an analytical dynamics exercise?

Someone can help you with an analytical dynamics exercise by explaining the concepts and equations involved, providing guidance on problem-solving strategies, and offering practice problems for you to work on.

4. What are some common challenges in analytical dynamics exercises?

Some common challenges in analytical dynamics exercises include understanding and applying the correct equations, correctly setting up the problem, and dealing with complex mathematical calculations.

5. Is it important to have a strong foundation in mathematics for analytical dynamics?

Yes, having a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for success in analytical dynamics. This branch of physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and equations, so a good grasp of these concepts is necessary for solving problems accurately.