Can Someone Help Me Understand Bernoulli's Equation for My Physics Course?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying Physics in university but did not take it in high school. They are seeking guidance on how to approach a problem related to Bernoulli's equation, which involves pressure, speed, and height. The problem statement also mentions the viscosity of water, but it is unclear if it should be used in calculations.
ttang94
Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 7.31.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 7.36.00 PM.png

Hi everyone, I am currently doing Physics at UNI but I haven't done it in high school. I was wondering if you guys can help me by guiding me on what to do? Much appreciated.

I am not doing a Physics Degree. I am doing Physics as an online course as an elective and I have no idea what the questions are on about as I have not done Physics since Year 10.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far on the problem? What don't you understand properly?

I don't understand how to use the equation.

Bernoulli's equation has quantities like pressure, speed, and height in it. The problem statement has information about pressure, speed, and height in it. It appears, at first glance anyway, that substitution of the given quantities into Bernoulli's equation is the way to go.

Part of the problem statement includes the viscosity of water, but I don't think that you're supposed to use that in your calculations and instead assume an idealized flow, which is what most Bernoulli problems do.

Related to Can Someone Help Me Understand Bernoulli's Equation for My Physics Course?

What is Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at a point in a moving fluid. It states that the sum of the pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy per unit volume of a fluid is constant along a streamline.

Who developed Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation was developed by Swiss mathematician and physicist Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century. He first published his work in his book "Hydrodynamica" in 1738.

Is Bernoulli's Equation applicable to all fluids?

Bernoulli's Equation is applicable to all inviscid fluids, meaning fluids that have no viscosity or internal friction. This includes fluids such as air, water, and other gases and liquids.

What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation has many practical applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. Some examples include aircraft and automobile design, fluid flow in pipes and channels, and even the flight of birds and insects. It is also used in the design of airfoils, pumps, and turbines.

What are the limitations of Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation has some limitations, including the assumption of inviscid flow and incompressible fluids. It also does not account for factors such as turbulence, compressibility, and boundary effects. In certain situations, these limitations may lead to inaccurate results, and more complex equations must be used.