Can someone help me to calculate the velocity at Stack Tip?

In summary: What is the "right"?In summary, the question is about calculating the velocity at the stack tip with a distance of 2.5 m for the larger diameter. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation V1A1 = V2A2, but the user realizes that this equation may not apply to compressible fluids like flue gases. They also mention using the gas equation to solve the issue. In the conversation, there is also a mention of confusion in the diagram regarding the units for velocity and flow rate.
Suradanai

Homework Statement

How can we calculate the velocity at stack tip if the distance of larger diameter is 2.5 m?
I think i cannot use the equation of V1A1 = V2A2 because they may have some effect from 2.5 m of distance.
Thank you very much.

Homework Equations

Q1=Q2

The Attempt at a Solution

V1A1 = V2A2
45.74*2.4 = V2*6.16
V2 = 17.82 m/s

Attachments

• Exhaust Stack.JPG
    Exhaust Stack.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 579
Physics news on Phys.org
Suradanai said:

Homework Statement

How can we calculate the velocity at stack tip if the distance of larger diameter is 2.5 m?
I think i cannot use the equation of V1A1 = V2A2 because they may have some effect from 2.5 m of distance.
I think you're right. That formula applies to incompressible fluids like water. The flue gases are of course compressible.

I'm afraid I must leave this one to other helpers.

Likes Suradanai
There seems to be some confusion in the diagram. It shows a "velocity" in m3/s, asks about another such in the same units, but also quotes a "flow rate" in those units at the "exhaust temperature". How does that relate to the two velocities?
I have a suspicion the two "velocities" are supposed to be m/s. Given the diameter, that would seem to be consistent with the volumetric flow rate. If so, it makes the question much easier; you can ignore most of the information.

Likes Suradanai
rude man said:
I think you're right. That formula applies to incompressible fluids like water. The flue gases are of course compressible.

I'm afraid I must leave this one to other helpers.
Thank you very much, now I am looking the gas equation also that can apply this issue.

haruspex said:
There seems to be some confusion in the diagram. It shows a "velocity" in m3/s, asks about another such in the same units, but also quotes a "flow rate" in those units at the "exhaust temperature". How does that relate to the two velocities?
I have a suspicion the two "velocities" are supposed to be m/s. Given the diameter, that would seem to be consistent with the volumetric flow rate. If so, it makes the question much easier; you can ignore most of the information.
Oh!, that's my mistake, the right should be (m/s) as you said.
Thank you very much

Suradanai said:
Oh!, that's my mistake, the right should be (m/s) as you said.
Thank you very much
"The right"? Do you mean the "flow rate"? I would have thought that was m3/s, and the two "velocities" should be m/s.

Related to Can someone help me to calculate the velocity at Stack Tip?

1. What is velocity and why is it important to calculate at Stack Tip?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction. It is important to calculate velocity at Stack Tip because it can help determine how fast an object is moving and in what direction, which can be useful for various scientific and engineering purposes.

2. How do I calculate the velocity at Stack Tip?

The velocity at Stack Tip can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average velocity formula: velocity = distance/time.

3. What units are used to measure velocity at Stack Tip?

The most commonly used units to measure velocity at Stack Tip are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used depending on the specific application.

4. Can the velocity at Stack Tip be negative?

Yes, the velocity at Stack Tip can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. For example, if the reference point is upwards and the object is moving downwards, the velocity would be negative.

5. How accurate do my measurements need to be when calculating the velocity at Stack Tip?

The accuracy of your measurements will depend on the level of precision required for your specific purpose. In general, the more accurate your measurements are, the more precise your velocity calculation will be. It is important to use appropriate measuring tools and techniques to ensure the accuracy of your measurements.