Can someone help me find the moment generating function of a random walk?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a problem involving the analysis of random walks in statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics. They have defined a specific random walk and have attempted to analyze it using a similar approach to analyzing a Brownian motion. They are looking for the moment generating function or the mean and variance of the random walk. The other speaker provides a hint on how to obtain the first and second moments using a recurrence relation and initial conditions. They also suggest a general solution for the first moment and explain how to find the second moment. The speaker expresses their understanding and thanks the other speaker for their help.
humenghu
Hi, can someone who is familiar with the analysis of random walks (statistical mechanics, condensed matter physics etc.) help me on solving a particular problem?

We define the following random walk, the random variable w(t) is evolved as

w(t+1)=w(t), with probability of p;

w(t+1)=w(t)+C*(1-w(t))*f, with probability 1-p.

C is a constant, f is a random variable with known distribution, and f is not correlated with w.

Following the way of analyzing a Brownian motion, what I have tried is to write down
E(w(t)|w(t-1),p), then show the E(w(t)|p) using the induction, for a given w(0).

Next, at least I need to find the Var(w(t)) , or equivalently E(w(t)^2) since I have known (E(w(t)))^2 for a given w(0).

I hope that someone can help me find the moment generating function of this random walk

(E(w(t)^n)), or alternatively just the mean and the variance of w(t). Any hint on this is badly needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can obtain E(w(t)) as something of the form A+Bλt, right?
You should also get a recurrence relation on E(w(t)2) which involves E(w(t)). This should have a solution like C+Dλt+Eμt.
Plugging in the coefficients from the recurrence relations and the initial conditions should allow you to determine the 7 constants.

haruspex said:
You can obtain E(w(t)) as something of the form A+Bλt, right?
You should also get a recurrence relation on E(w(t)2) which involves E(w(t)). This should have a solution like C+Dλt+Eμt.
Plugging in the coefficients from the recurrence relations and the initial conditions should allow you to determine the 7 constants.

Thanks for the hint.

Yeah the E(W[itex]_{n}[/itex])=K[itex]^{n}[/itex]W[itex]_{0}[/itex]+K[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]L+K[itex]^{n-2}[/itex]L+...+KL+L

Where K=p-C(1-p)E(f), L=C(1-p)E(f).

However I found that the E(Wt[itex]^{2}[/itex]) is a little bit hard to show since the terms grow somehow fast with n. I could write down:

E(W[itex]_{n}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])=A[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]M+ A[itex]^{n-2}[/itex][BE(W[itex]_{1}[/itex])+C]+ A[itex]^{n-3}[/itex][BE(W[itex]_{2}[/itex])+C]+...A[BE(W[itex]_{n-2}[/itex])+C]+[BE(W[itex]_{n-1}[/itex])+C]

where A,B,C are terms consisting of p, C and random variable f.M=AE(W[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])+BE(W[itex]_{0}[/itex])+C

so do you think this is what you meant? or?

Addtionally I am still curious about the moments of the Wt, in a general sense. Is it possible to show them in closed form here?

humenghu said:
Yeah the E(W[itex]_{n}[/itex])=K[itex]^{n}[/itex]W[itex]_{0}[/itex]+K[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]L+K[itex]^{n-2}[/itex]L+...+KL+L

Where K=p-C(1-p)E(f), L=C(1-p)E(f).
I don't think it should be that bad.
K[itex]^{n}[/itex]W[itex]_{0}[/itex]+K[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]L+K[itex]^{n-2}[/itex]L+...+KL+L
= K[itex]^{n}[/itex]W[itex]_{0}[/itex]+L(K[itex]^n[/itex]-1)/(K-1)
= K[itex]^{n}[/itex](W[itex]_{0}[/itex]+L/(K-1))-L/(K-1)
So as I said, it is possible to represent the first moment as A+BKn, and the second moment will have only two additional constants.

Now I see what you mean. Thanks a lot!

Did you magically predict the first two moments just by looking at the evolution rules? or did you actually write down the terms like I did, any additional tips on this ?

I wrote out the recurrence relation for w(t) and saw it took the form
w(t+1) = Aw(t) + B.
Clearly this is basically multiplying by A at each step, so the answer will be something with At. To cover the inhomogeneous term (the B), look for a stationary value, i.e. w(t+1) = w(t) = w:
w = Aw+B
w = B/(1-A)
So now we have a general solution of w(t+1) = Aw(t), and a specific solution of w(t+1) = Aw(t) + B. Since the relationship is linear, we can add any multiple of the homogeneous solution to the inhomogeneous one:
w(t) = cAt + B/(1-A)

The recurrence relation for w2 is of the form
w2(t+1) = Dw2(t) + Ew(t) + F
= Dw2(t) + E(cAt + B/(1-A)) + F
Collecting up constants, this reduces to
w2(t+1) = Dw2(t) + E'At + F'
Again, the homogeneous part gives w2(t) = gDt. What to do with E'At? Iterating the recurrence will result in adding terms like that for successive values of t, i.e. the sum of a geometric series. So we know this will add a term like At to the answer. So just assume an answer of the form gDt + hAt + k, plug it into the recurrence relation and initial conditions, and see what you get for g, h and k.

I see. Thanks!

Related to Can someone help me find the moment generating function of a random walk?

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that describes a path taken by a randomly moving object. It is a series of steps taken in a random direction, with each step being independent of the previous one.

2. What are moments in a random walk?

Moments in a random walk are statistical measures that describe the shape and location of the path. They are used to quantify the behavior of the random walk, such as its average distance from the starting point or the amount of variation in its path.

3. How are moments calculated in a random walk?

The moments in a random walk can be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the number of steps taken and the probability of each step. These formulas can become increasingly complex as the number of moments being calculated increases.

4. What is the relationship between moments and the shape of a random walk?

The moments of a random walk can provide information about the shape of the path. For example, the first moment (mean) describes the average distance from the starting point, while higher moments can indicate the level of asymmetry or skewness in the path.

5. How are moments of a random walk used in scientific research?

Moments of a random walk are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, biology, and economics, to model and analyze the behavior of random processes. They can also be used to make predictions and test hypotheses about real-world phenomena.