Can someone help me find a method to measure water level in a tank

The tank is 7 feet deep, 23 feet in length, and 26 feet in width.In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for measuring the depth of water inside an underground tank without opening it. Suggestions include using a stick, a float and electronics, ultrasonic sensors, and a conductivity method. The tank is 7 feet deep, 23 feet in length, and 26 feet in width.
savibalu
At the outset I am a novice in physics. i have constructed a rain water storing tank with a capicity of 1,20,000 litres. I propose to seal the tank so that there is no light penetrating inside the tank. My question now is how do I measure how many feet of water is left inside the tank? Can someone suggest a simple way? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
savibalu said:
At the outset I am a novice in physics. i have constructed a rain water storing tank with a capicity of 1,20,000 litres. I propose to seal the tank so that there is no light penetrating inside the tank. My question now is how do I measure how many feet of water is left inside the tank? Can someone suggest a simple way? Thank you in advance.
Do you mean without opening the tank? The simplest way by far would be to have the ability to open at least a small area at the top of the tank and stick in a long rod that darkens in water and then take it out and see what length is dark.

Absent that, you're going to have to have a float and some electronics including a transmitter. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work/cost.

Clear plastic tubing run vertically up the outside of the tank. The bottom of the tube is connected low in the tank (for example, tee it into the outlet pipe). Tube level = tank level.

thank you for your replies.
yes i want to measure without opening the underground water tank. Measuring with a stick is my last resort if nothing works out.
probably a float tied to a string which comes out and some way to measure...with a scale outside with the same height of the tank?
Is this possible? if so how?

phinds said:
Do you mean without opening the tank? The simplest way by far would be to have the ability to open at least a small area at the top of the tank and stick in a long rod that darkens in water and then take it out and see what length is dark.

Absent that, you're going to have to have a float and some electronics including a transmitter. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work/cost.
Can you please explain how the float and transmitter can be used?

Yell into the top and time the echo? [better -- measure the tone of the resonant frequency]
Drop some yellow dye in, wait and measure the concentration that comes out?
Put a barometer onto a boat and have it phone home?

If one is going to suck the water out of the tank, it should be possible measure the suction required to draw it up and obtain a depth reading from that information.

Last edited:
gmax137 said:
something

Sorry, I missed the "underground" part of the description. I'd go with the stick; that's how they do it at the gas station.

What are you going to do with the water and how are you going to get it out of the tank?

gmax137 said:
Sorry, I missed the "underground" part of the description. I'd go with the stick; that's how they do it at the gas station.

What are you going to do with the water and how are you going to get it out of the tank?
there is going to be a submersible motor to pump the water out to the overhead tank.

How deep is the tank?

http://www.jmesales.com/catalog/productinfo.aspx?id=12408&cid=4326&skuid=BJ010996&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiLDMBRDFARIsACNmiX-KmB2fjG4sa-XKFnrSawuhx8-600GVW1nlXkuf2Bnts1U2Mu8AqLUaAvhIEALw_wcB

EspressoDan said:
How deep is the tank?
the tank is 7 feet deep. 23feet ×26feet length and breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
A $5 ultrasonic sensor and an Arduino is what you need. All you need at the tank is a 5v supply, which I'd do with batteries for this. Just turn the Arduino on to take a reading and off when you're done, should last years. Mount the ultrasonic sensor inside the access hatch pointing at the surface of the water and write about 20 lines of code.

You could play around with an RF relay back to the house, but I'd be more tempted to just use a simple 7-segment digital display right at the tank. If you build a little shelter it should be good down to around -10C.

I won't tell you how to do it here - lots of code and tutorials online:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Measuring-water-level-with-ultrasonic-sensor/

Whole thing should cost less than $30.

Last edited:
Water is a pretty good conductor. You can put a set of contacts along the length of a stick (plastic and smeared with silicone to shed water) and 'measure' the resistance between each one and the bottom contact. The 'measurement' can consist of an LED, a suitable resistor at each division, all powered by the same battery. The dry contacts would not cause their LEDs to light and the wet ones would. It would be a very simple Bar graph. Ten LEDs would give you a measurement in tenths of the depth. If there is a problem getting enough current to light a LED then a transistor switch at each contact would do the trick. Natch, you would only turn on the battery when you wanted to see the level.
Not as sexy as an ultrasonic machine but cheaper (probably). Having said that, you can buy ultrasonic tape measures fairly cheap'

just a note of caution - I experimented with water sensing in a small outdoor irrigation system a while ago. I was plagued by corrosion caused by unwanted electrolysis (over months of time). So if you use direct contact electrodes, do design to use a really low voltage (suggest no more than a few tens of millivolts), and don't leave it running when not in use.

I had some success with a little low-current oscillator dumping its output into a piece of insulated wire running from top to bottom of the water tank. I monitored the current draw from the battery which went up as the water level rose, increasing the capacitance on the oscillator output. Required a light twin cable which doubled as power supply and signal cable. But that needed calibration and wasn't ultra-precise.

lesaid said:
So if you use direct contact electrodes, do design to use a really low voltage
. . . . . or AC?

jbriggs444 said:
Yell into the top and time the echo? [better -- measure the tone of the resonant frequency]
I think this idea by @jbriggs444 is a good one. Can you run an ABS tube (about 1-2" ID) from near the bottom of the water tank up to where you can work with it? Can it be a straight tube, or would it need to be curved? If straight, just use an audio tone generator and sensor to find the resonance of the tube from the water's surface to the top of the tube. You could do that with a cellphone app, probably...

This is my favorite kind of float gauge:

am143171a.jpg

The middle twisted blade (1-turn) is connected to the dial indicator and it turns as the float goes up and down. Usually found on gas tank for small vehicles like snowmobiles or lawn tractors.

sophiecentaur said:
. . . . . or AC?
I didn't spend time on AC direct contact sensors - I went to capacitive ones instead. However, while AC would prevent measurement errors due to electrolysis polarising the system, I wonder if it would actually prevent the corrosion rather than simply making it symmetrical? Perhaps a higher frequency would be more effective than a lower one?

I think (not being a chemist) , and supported by some experiments in a different context - that if the voltage is low enough ( say under 50 mV - the lower the better), it is too low to cause electrolysis and one should get consistent reading without inducing corrosion. That might be a very simple way of doing it. But I've not tried that as a moisture sensor.

You can buy ultrasonic gauges with a remote display for home heating oil tanks. Some even have an alarm that goes off of the level drops too quickly indicating oil theft or leakage.

Related to Can someone help me find a method to measure water level in a tank

1. How do I measure the water level in a tank?

There are several methods for measuring water level in a tank, including using a dipstick or tape measure, installing a float and gauge system, or using a pressure sensor. The best method for your specific tank will depend on its size, shape, and the type of liquid being measured.

2. What is the most accurate way to measure water level in a tank?

The most accurate method for measuring water level in a tank is using a pressure sensor. This type of sensor uses the weight of the liquid to determine the water level and can provide precise measurements. However, it may be more expensive and require more maintenance compared to other methods.

3. Can I use a ruler or measuring tape to measure water level in a tank?

Yes, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure water level in a tank. This method may not be as accurate as other methods, but it can still give you a general idea of the water level. It is important to make sure that the measuring tool is clean and does not contaminate the water in the tank.

4. How do I know if the water level in my tank is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your water level measurement, it is important to regularly calibrate your measuring method. This can be done by using a known volume of liquid and comparing the measurement from your method to the actual volume. If there is a discrepancy, you may need to adjust your measuring method or equipment.

5. What should I consider when choosing a method to measure water level in a tank?

When choosing a method to measure water level in a tank, you should consider factors such as the accuracy required, the type of liquid being measured, the size and shape of the tank, and your budget. It is also important to consider the maintenance and calibration requirements of the method to ensure accurate and reliable measurements over time.