Can someone help a young engineer out.

In summary: If you keep making these small mistakes, it will be harder to get hired in the future. In summary, the author suggests that if you have engineering experience you should critiqued the author's resume. The author highlights their in-major GPA versus their overall GPA. The author has been interviewed (even flown out to Scaled Composites) and has been contacted back by two companies, but has not been hired. The author identifies one area where they can improve their resume presentation.
Aero51
This is probably really bold by some members standards, but I would like some help. If I send someone who has engineering experience my resume would you mind critiquing it...please :)
I'll return the favor somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll allow this.

Aero -- please delete your personal contact info from the copy you post here. Go ahead and post a sanitized copy here as an attachment. Be sure to say what positions you are applying for.

Last edited:
I like that you highlight your in-major GPA versus your overall GPA. I did the same thing in my resumes, because my in-major GPA was several tenths higher. As long as both are high, showing that your in-major GPA is higher is good, IMO.

The rest of the resume looks good. I assume the title name/contact info is a joke substitution. That's not how I would title my resume.

The experience looks good and relevant to positions that you would apply for. Since you mention several programming experiences, maybe attach some of your example code/projects to any e-mails you send to employers with your resume. I like to see what folks have done and worked on when I interview them. Be ready to answer detailed questions about those projects when you get to the in-person interview.

Good work!

berkeman said:
The experience looks good and relevant to positions that you would apply for. Since you mention several programming experiences, maybe attach some of your example code/projects to any e-mails you send to employers with your resume. I like to see what folks have done and worked on when I interview them. Be ready to answer detailed questions about those projects when you get to the in-person interview.

Good work!

I'll second this. The number one reason I have rejected candidates in interviews is because they can't discuss the projects on their own resumes at even a simple level.

Asking about your resume projects is going to happen. The question is an underhanded soft-ball pitch, juicy and hanging up there in the strike zone. Hit it out of the park.

A deep understanding of your past projects will give a bias in your favor for the rest of the interview. Take it.

Oh, I thought this thread was closed. Thanks for opening it. I actually made another resume recently which is more technical but broad. If you want I can send this copy.

And I always remember my projects. I have a great memory for things I do as I immerse myself in my work. But still, for whatever reason, I can't get hired.

Aero51 said:
Oh, I thought this thread was closed. Thanks for opening it. I actually made another resume recently which is more technical but broad. If you want I can send this copy.

And I always remember my projects. I have a great memory for things I do as I immerse myself in my work. But still, for whatever reason, I can't get hired.

If you don't mind my asking, how often have you actually been interviewed for potential job positions. And have you ever done practice interviews with someone that can critique your interview skills?

I'm asking because once you have landed an interview, what is important during the interview process is to present an image of competence. That means body language, speaking style and other physical characteristics matters considerably. It may be a good idea to have someone unbiased and independent meet with you on this. I know that career counselling centres at colleges/universities offer such services, so it may be worth taking a look.

Been interviewed (even flown out to Scaled Composites) at least 5 times in person. Probably had 10 phone interviews. This in the 6 months of job searching. I called two of the companies back, one said I did excellent but they chose an internal candidate, the other said I needed more experience but had great math skills yet had trouble fully explaining my methods.

I think I can come off as arrogant sometimes.

Aero51 said:
I think I can come off as arrogant sometimes.

I'm sorry you're having difficulty finding employment. If you really think you're coming off as arrogant this is something you should try very hard to work on right away. It could be sabotaging your job hunt.

One of the most poisonous things for an engineering team is arrogance. It can destroy team spirit and motivation very quickly. Therefore a lot of managers try really hard to not hire arrogant engineers, particularly when they are just starting out so their arrogance is not justified.

You may have identified an area where you can improve the way you present yourself. This is good news because you can fix it.

Related to Can someone help a young engineer out.

1. Can someone actually help a young engineer out?

Yes, as a scientist, I can say that there are many experienced engineers and mentors who are willing to offer guidance and support to young engineers. Whether it's through networking, internships, or mentorship programs, there are plenty of opportunities for help.

2. How can someone help a young engineer out?

There are many ways someone can help a young engineer. They can share their knowledge and experience, offer advice and guidance, provide opportunities for learning and growth, and serve as a role model. Mentoring, networking, and internships are also great ways to help a young engineer.

3. Is it worth it to help a young engineer?

Absolutely! Helping a young engineer is not only beneficial for the individual, but also for the engineering community as a whole. By investing in the next generation of engineers, we can ensure the growth and advancement of the field.

4. Can someone outside of the engineering field still help a young engineer?

Yes, anyone can help a young engineer. Even if you are not an engineer yourself, you can still offer valuable advice and support based on your own experiences and knowledge. You can also help by connecting the young engineer with other professionals in their field.

5. How can I get involved in helping young engineers?

There are many ways to get involved in helping young engineers. You can join a mentorship program, offer internships or job shadowing opportunities, participate in networking events, or simply offer your advice and support to young engineers you know. You can also reach out to schools or organizations that support young engineers to see how you can get involved.