Can someone explain to me the signs on this vector problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the corresponding force on point B as a vector, and the confusion regarding the direction of the force. The speaker is trying to find the r vector in order to calculate the unit vector and multiply it by the tension. They question whether to use B-A or A-B for the r vector, and also ask why the E field in the conductor is 0. It is clarified that the force should point away from B, with the r vector and force vector always pointing in the same direction.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

For drawing purposes, I'm just going to state the locations of the 2 points. Cable AB carries a tension of 12 kN. Point A=(0,0,70) m and point B=(35,-25,10) m.
Find the corresponding force on point B as a vector.

okay now this part has me confused. I'm trying to find my r vector so I can get the unit vector out of that and multiply by the tension to get the corresponding force vector.

My question is do you do B-A or A-b to get the r vector? The only way I can match the signs in the book is to do A-B, but why would it be A-B instead of B-A?

Physics news on Phys.org
can someone also answer the question why the E field in the conductor w/ the 2 radius is 0? Shouldn't there be an e field due to the smaller conductor?

The direction of the force on B has to point away from B. Tensions pull, they don't push. A-B points away from B. B-A doesn't.

oh thank you for explaining. r vector and force vector always point in same direction correct?

pyroknife said:
oh thank you for explaining. r vector and force vector always point in same direction correct?

I like my explanation better. Tension pulls. It should point AWAY from B.

Related to Can someone explain to me the signs on this vector problem

1. What are vectors and how are they represented?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. They are typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude.

2. What are some common signs used in vector problems?

Some common signs used in vector problems include addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (x or *), and division (/). These signs are used to perform mathematical operations on vectors.

3. How do I determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is represented by the angle it makes with a reference axis, usually the positive x-axis. This angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by single numbers, while vectors are represented by arrows.

5. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same direction and then perform the appropriate mathematical operation on their magnitudes. The resulting vector will have the same direction as the original vectors.