Can someone explain Fourier transform to me?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving Fourier transforms and the uncertainty principle. The participants discussed the use of the Fourier transform equation and suggested consulting textbooks or online resources for further understanding. A book recommendation was also provided.
Crazy Tosser
OK< I've been trying to understands Fourier Transforms with no success. Does anybody know a tutorial or website that explains it completely? My math background is Calculus AB, and my Physics background is reg. physics, but I am into QM, and already know basic wave equations and can apply Heisenberg's uncertainity Principle.

There is this problem that I want to solve:

Homework Statement

Consider the wave packet [tex]cos(\alpha x) e^{- \beta |x|}[/tex], where [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are real positive constants and [tex]\beta << \alpha[/tex]. Take the Fourier transform of this expression and show that the frequency components are spread over a range [tex]\Delta k \approx \beta[/tex]. Thus, deduce the uncertainty relation.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta x \Delta p \approx h[/tex]
[tex]\Delta k \approx \frac{1}{\Delta x}[/tex]
and probably the Fourier transform equation that I don't remeber right now.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta k \approx \frac{1}{\Delta x}[/tex], thus [tex]\Delta k \approx \frac{\Delta p}{h}[/tex], thus [tex]\Delta k \approx \frac{\Delta v}{c}[/tex]

If it's right, where do I go from here?
How can I use the Fourier transforms here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried wikipedia?

Yes, and could not understand any damn thing

There are many math physics books in the library.

Crazy Tosser said:

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta x \Delta p \approx h[/tex]
[tex]\Delta k \approx \frac{1}{\Delta x}[/tex]
and probably the Fourier transform equation that I don't remeber right now.

The Fourier transform equation is the key, and should be in your textbook or class notes. You'll have to do the integral.

Crazy Tosser said:
Yes, and could not understand any damn thing

It is basically just 'doing an integral'.

It is easier if you tell us exactly what it is that you don't understand, then we can help you with that.

Also, I'll repeat what pam said, and suggest that you go to any library and get a book. This is true for any subject in general. You'll learn much more from going to the library and getting a book, instead of asking on an online forum, because it is almost impossible to explain subjects completely. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransform.html" has many references. As malawi said, if you have any *specific* questions, post them here and you'll get help.

I recommend "A Student's Guide to Fourier Transforms: With Applications in Physics and Engineering" by J.F James. It's a small book, but very well written.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can someone explain Fourier transform to me?

1. What is the purpose of a Fourier transform?

The purpose of a Fourier transform is to break down a signal into its individual frequency components. This allows for a better understanding of the underlying pattern or structure of the signal.

2. How does a Fourier transform work?

A Fourier transform works by representing a signal as a combination of sine and cosine waves of different frequencies and amplitudes. This is achieved through a mathematical process called integration, which calculates the contribution of each frequency component to the overall signal.

3. What are the applications of Fourier transform?

Fourier transform has a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound analysis, communication systems, and solving differential equations. It is also used in medical imaging, astronomy, and weather forecasting.

4. Is Fourier transform reversible?

Yes, Fourier transform is reversible. This means that the original signal can be reconstructed from its frequency components using the inverse Fourier transform. However, some information may be lost during the transformation process.

5. How is Fourier transform different from Fourier series?

Fourier transform is a continuous representation of a signal in the frequency domain, while Fourier series is a discrete representation of a periodic signal in the frequency domain. Additionally, Fourier transform can handle non-periodic signals, while Fourier series is limited to periodic signals.