Can someone clarify this please? Confusing Wording

• Thread starter PhysicsOPhun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the maximum compression of the spring occurs when the two blocks move with the same speed, v/2 = 0.60 m/s.
PhysicsOPhun
Can someone clarify this please? Confusing Wording...

1.Two blocks, each with a mass 0.40 {\rm kg}, can slide without friction on a horizontal surface. Initially, block 1 is in motion with a speed v = 1.2 {\rm m/s}; block 2 is at rest. When block 1 collides with block 2, a spring bumper on block 1 is compressed. Maximum compression of the spring occurs when the two blocks move with the same speed, v/2 = 0.60 {\rm m/s}.

2.If the maximum compression of the spring is 1.9 {\rm cm}, what is its force constant?

3. Hi everyone, All I really need is clarification of the last given. It says "...blocks...move with the same speed, v/2 = 0.60 m/s"

V/2 ? Does this just mean they are both now traveling .60m/s or is there something else I can derive from this that I am missing.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The actual value you would have to work out, but you can see that if the second block moves faster then the spring loses ground, and if block 2 moves slower then block 1 will push block 2 such that the springs restorative force and all that forces the two into the same speed.

I'm sorry...I just don't follow. If block 2 moves slower (stopped) then block 1, block 1 will push block 2 so that the springs (restorative force?...is that like potential energy?).

The way I'm brainstorming it is that say, without the springs the block would have to be moving at a velocity twice that of the 2nd block's potential energy so that they could ultimately move at the same velocity.

The spring, must also be significantly weaker to absorb the collision and keep both blocks moving.

Anyway, I feel like I know exactly what to do...if anyone could offer advice that would be nice but what I really want to do is finish it up right now and post it to verify it.

Thanks Mindscape for the quick reply...

Yes, I think that as you work it out it will start to make sense. Look out for units!

I Really hope someone is up and dying to do some physics problems!

Hi guys, I'm the original poster...

I'm pretty much just staring at the problem and have been for quite some time...Can someone private message me or e-mail or reply here and help me out with some details...I'm going in circles and really don't want to give up. It's been HOURS!

thanks

use conservation laws

PhysicsOPhun said:
1.Two blocks, each with a mass 0.40 {\rm kg}, can slide without friction on a horizontal surface.
Initially, block 1 is in motion with a speed v = 1.2 {\rm m/s}; block 2 is at rest.
When block 1 collides with block 2, a spring bumper on block 1 is compressed.
Maximum compression of the spring occurs when the two blocks move with the same speed, v/2 = 0.60 {\rm m/s}.[/b]

2.If the maximum compression of the spring is 1.9 {\rm cm}, what is its force constant?

Use conservation laws whenever you can.

In this case, the first step is to use conservation of momentum: the blocks are identical, and they're moving in only one dimension, so we know that the total speed will be constant.
The total speed initially is v + 0 = v.
Later, it's v/2 + v/2 = v.

(Don't bother to work out why - the question has saved you the trouble of doing that by telling you the speeds - I guess this question is mainly to test your knowledge of springs, so the other bits of the question are made as easy as possible for you - sometimes examiners are nice guys!)

The next step is to use conservation of energy - the total energy of the blocks is less than it was - where has the extra energy gone, and how much is it - that should tell you all you need to know about the spring!

I hope this has put a spring in your steps! :smile:

Related to Can someone clarify this please? Confusing Wording

1. What is meant by "clarify this"?

"Clarify this" means to provide a clearer or more detailed explanation of something that may be difficult to understand or confusing. It is a request for further clarification or explanation.

2. How can I ask someone to clarify something without being rude?

You can ask someone to clarify something by using polite and respectful language, such as "Can you please clarify this for me?" or "I'm having trouble understanding this, could you provide more clarification?" This shows that you are genuinely seeking understanding and not trying to be rude or confrontational.

3. What if I still don't understand after someone clarifies?

If you still don't understand after someone has clarified, you can politely ask for further clarification or examples. It's important to communicate that you are actively trying to understand and are not just dismissing their explanation.

4. Is it okay to ask for clarification multiple times?

Yes, it is okay to ask for clarification multiple times if you are genuinely trying to understand and are not just being repetitive. However, it's important to be respectful and not continuously ask for clarification without making an effort to understand on your own.

5. How can I clarify something for someone else?

To clarify something for someone else, it's important to listen carefully to their question or confusion and try to explain it in a simple and clear manner. It can also be helpful to provide examples or analogies to help them understand better. Patience and understanding are key when clarifying something for someone else.