Can someone check if this forces problem on an incline

In summary, the force P that pulls the bottom block up the incline may seem low, and the setup and work in brown may need confirmation. The problem also involves determining if P is independent of ##\theta## and drawing free body diagrams for each block separately. One of the blue arrows may also be incorrect. The hint provided is to clearly state the forces acting on the plank and block separately, with the block having a mass of 2m instead of 3m. The plank exerts friction and tension on the block.
Blockade
To me the force P that pulls the bottom block up the incline seems a little low. Can someone confirm with my setup and work in brown is correct? Thank you.

Problem:
8eea061f2a.jpg

Work:
4c89ea0207.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you expect P to be independent of ##\theta## ?
Draw a free body diagram for each of the blocks separately.
And I see one of the two blue arrows (the most illegible one :smile:) can't be right.

BvU said:
Would you expect P to be independent of ##\theta## ?
Draw a free body diagram for each of the blocks separately.
And I see one of the two blue arrows (the most illegible one :smile:) can't be right.

ΣFxA : P - T - (3mgsinθ) - μk mgcosθ= 0

That was your hint right XD.

Blockade said:
ΣFxA : P - T - (3mgsinθ) - μk mgcosθ= 0

That was your hint right XD.
How about clearly stating what forces act on the plank and what forces act on the block - separately.

The mass of the block is 2m, right. Why do you have 3m ?

The plank acts on the block via friction and via the tension in the cord.

SammyS said:
How about clearly stating what forces act on the plank and what forces act on the block - separately.

The mass of the block is 2m, right. Why do you have 3m ?

The plank acts on the block via friction and via the tension in the cord.

I will redo the problem and post it back up. Thanks for you input.

Related to Can someone check if this forces problem on an incline

1. What is a forces problem on an incline?

A forces problem on an incline is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object that is on an inclined plane. This type of problem requires knowledge of force vectors, gravity, and the angle of incline.

2. How do you solve a forces problem on an incline?

To solve a forces problem on an incline, you will need to draw a diagram of the situation and identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use trigonometry and Newton's laws of motion to calculate the net force and acceleration of the object.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a forces problem on an incline?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a forces problem on an incline include forgetting to account for the angle of incline, not considering all the forces acting on the object, and miscalculating the net force or acceleration. It is important to carefully label and organize all the information in the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. What units should I use when solving a forces problem on an incline?

In physics, it is important to use consistent units when solving problems. For a forces problem on an incline, you should use units of force, such as Newtons, and units of angle, such as degrees or radians. If the problem involves calculating acceleration, you should use units of distance over time squared, such as meters per second squared.

5. How can I check if my solution to a forces problem on an incline is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a forces problem on an incline is correct is to use the equations of motion to verify that the acceleration and net force are consistent with your calculations. You can also double-check your work by plugging your values back into the original equations and ensuring that they balance out.