Can Solenoids Be Used as Shock Absorbers Through Electromagnetic Damping?

In summary: I don't understand why a change in current direction is necessary. If I run a current so that the effective N pole of the solenoid points in the +z direction and place a magnet above it with the N pole pointing in the -z direction, a switch in current direction would switch the direction of the solenoids magnetic field and thus attract the magnet above it, not providing the repulsion effect desired for the dampening of the shock impulse.Maybe I am interpreting this wrong but I don't see how this would work. By attaching the object receiving the shock impulse directly to the solenoid, the only cushioning effect provided would be from the coil of wires acting, literally, as a spring, not from
nnj
Is it possible to use a solenoid as a shock absorber?

i.e run current through the solenoid, producing a magnetic field opposing a separate magnet attached to whatever it is receiving the shock impulse, thus dampening the effect according to the amount of current input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit* Nvm, I didn't see that you were wanting to run a current through the solenoid. This would be possible if you were able to link the current direction with the period of oscillations.

Last edited:
nnj said:
Is it possible to use a solenoid as a shock absorber?

i.e run current through the solenoid, producing a magnetic field opposing a separate magnet attached to whatever it is receiving the shock impulse, thus dampening the effect according to the amount of current input.

You do not need the separate magnet.
Attach whatever is receiving the shock impulse directly to the solenoid core, to provide a cushioning effect like a spring.
A damper is still needed to reduce the amplitude of the oscillations.

Last edited:
basically, if you have a solenoid with a ferromagnetic core, the core will tend to stay centered in the solenoid...then you can add a concentric shaft or rod (will need to be of a smaller diameter so the preference is still given to the core) and attache that to whatever you want to provide with shock absorption...

dydxforsn said:
Edit* Nvm, I didn't see that you were wanting to run a current through the solenoid. This would be possible if you were able to link the current direction with the period of oscillations.

I don't understand why a change in current direction is necessary. If I run a current so that the effective N pole of the solenoid points in the +z direction and place a magnet above it with the N pole pointing in the -z direction, a switch in current direction would switch the direction of the solenoids magnetic field and thus attract the magnet above it, not providing the repulsion effect desired for the dampening of the shock impulse.

You do not need the separate magnet.
Attach whatever is receiving the shock impulse directly to the solenoid core, to provide a cushioning effect like a spring.

Maybe I am interpreting this wrong but I don't see how this would work. By attaching the object receiving the shock impulse directly to the solenoid, the only cushioning effect provided would be from the coil of wires acting, literally, as a spring, not from any emf which is really what I'm going for. If I had a magnet, however, levitating above the solenoid, the opposing magnetic fields would provide a cushion of air, the magnet would oscillate up and down depending on external forces. Correct?

You do not attach the whatever to the solenoid, but to the core in the middle of it.

Does your solenoid attracts iron?
Have you try to put a pvc pipe inside your solenoid and piece of iron inside the pvc pipe?
What does it do? does it fall? does it stay?
...hope you are starting the get the picture now...also, refer to my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean the application of Lenz's Law?

Related to Can Solenoids Be Used as Shock Absorbers Through Electromagnetic Damping?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a core, and when an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that pulls or pushes a plunger or rod within the core.

2. How do solenoids work as shock absorbers?

Solenoids can work as shock absorbers by controlling the movement of the plunger or rod within the core. When a force is applied to the solenoid, the plunger or rod will move, and the coil will convert the kinetic energy of the movement into electrical energy. This energy can then be dissipated as heat, effectively absorbing the shock and reducing the impact on the surrounding environment.

3. What are the advantages of using solenoids as shock absorbers?

One advantage of using solenoids as shock absorbers is their ability to provide precise and adjustable control over the movement of the plunger or rod. They can also be designed to be compact and lightweight, making them ideal for use in various applications. Additionally, solenoids do not require any external power source, as they can convert the kinetic energy into electrical energy on their own.

4. What are some common applications of solenoids as shock absorbers?

Solenoids are commonly used as shock absorbers in automotive and industrial machinery. They can also be found in household appliances, medical devices, and other equipment that requires controlled movement and energy absorption.

5. Are there any limitations to using solenoids as shock absorbers?

While solenoids can be effective shock absorbers, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be suitable for high-impact or high-force applications, as they can only absorb a certain amount of energy before reaching their limit. Additionally, solenoids may require regular maintenance to ensure their proper functioning and longevity.