Can Silicone Filler Fix a Punctured Ice Box?

• Thread starter McHeathen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Ice
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of puncturing the insulation of a refrigerator and the potential solutions for repairing it. Some possible solutions mentioned are using silicone filler, adhesive-backed aluminum muffler/exhaust repair tape, and Gun Gum. It is noted that repairing a coolant pipe is difficult and may require professional help. The conversation ends with the suggestion that it may be more cost-effective to just buy a new refrigerator.
McHeathen
I decided to speed things up by scrapping off the ice and I punctured the side of the ice box. I used some silicone filler to seal it. Will it work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you only break into the insulation - you didn't puncture any coolant pipes?
Then any waterproof sealant will work although how well it sicks at low temperature varies.
The adhesive-backed aluminium muffler/exhaust repair tape works well in vacuum cryogenic systems.

mgb_phys said:
Did you only break into the insulation - you didn't puncture any coolant pipes?

I never saw any pipes, but maybe I went into one. A hissing sound was heard.

mgb_phys said:
The adhesive-backed aluminium muffler/exhaust repair tape works well in vacuum cryogenic systems.

What about 'Gun Gum'? It is used for repairing holes in exhausts.

"Hissing sound" was the coolant leaking out of the hole in one of the small pipes mqb is talking about.

The coolant circulates under some pressure. I don't know of a good fix because low temperatures degrade the sticking power of a lot of sealants. Somebody with special knowledge in the area may be able to help.

If there is a sealant that will work, you will need to recharge the coolant.

Hi, McHeathen.
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, and I also sought advice here. It was not forthcoming, despite the best intentions of my friends in PF. If you perforated a coolant line, then your unit is toast. I looked into everything from bubble gum through JB Weld and silver-soldering to brazing. The closest thing to a solution that I could find was designed for automotive A/C units, and is totally non-applicable to the aluminum tubes found in a household device. You can buy a new fridge for a lot less than it would cost you to have yours rebuilt by a professional.
Sorry.

If you bust a tube tough!
Even if you could repair the hole. You would have to flush out any water/air/crud that got in the pipes, then you have to get it refilled.

Related to Can Silicone Filler Fix a Punctured Ice Box?

1. What is the purpose of defrosting an ice box?

The main purpose of defrosting an ice box is to remove any built-up ice or frost that can hinder the proper functioning of the appliance. This buildup can also reduce the storage capacity of the ice box and cause it to consume more energy.

2. How often should an ice box be defrosted?

The frequency of defrosting an ice box depends on the usage and the model of the appliance. As a general rule, it is recommended to defrost an ice box at least once every 3-6 months to prevent excessive ice buildup.

3. How do you defrost an ice box?

The most common method is to unplug the ice box and leave the door open for the ice to melt naturally. Alternatively, you can also use a hairdryer or a bowl of warm water to speed up the process. It is important to never use sharp objects or hot water to remove the ice as it can damage the appliance.

4. Can you defrost an ice box faster?

Yes, there are a few ways to speed up the defrosting process. You can place a pan of hot water inside the ice box or use a hairdryer on the lowest heat setting to melt the ice. However, it is crucial to avoid using sharp objects or hot water to prevent damage to the appliance.

5. How can you prevent ice buildup in an ice box?

To prevent ice buildup, it is essential to keep the ice box door closed as much as possible. Avoid placing hot or warm items directly into the ice box, as it can cause condensation and lead to ice buildup. It is also recommended to regularly clean the ice box and its seals to prevent any air leaks that can cause excess moisture and ice formation.