Can Series Expansion Prove the Relation Between Inverse Coth and ln(x+1)/(x-1)?

In summary, the relation between $\frac{1}{2}ln\frac{x+1}{x-1}$ and $\coth^{-1}(x)$ can be proved through series expansion. However, the 1st term of the series for arc coth x is singular, and so finding a series for this relation is difficult.
ognik
Hi - my sometimes surprising set-book asks to show by series expansion, that $ \frac{1}{2}ln\frac{x+1}{x-1} =coth^{-1} (x) $

I get LHS = $ x+\frac{{x}^{3}}{3}+\frac{{x}^{5}}{5}+... $, which I think $= tanh^{-1} $ but I have found different expansions for the hyperbolic inverses, so I'd appreciate confirmation (or not) please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi - my sometimes surprising set-book asks to show by series expansion, that $ \frac{1}{2}ln\frac{x+1}{x-1} =coth^{-1} (x) $

I get LHS = $ x+\frac{{x}^{3}}{3}+\frac{{x}^{5}}{5}+... $, which I think $= tanh^{-1} $ but I have found different expansions for the hyperbolic inverses, so I'd appreciate confirmation (or not) please?

You shouldn't need to use series to prove this:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} y &= \textrm{arcoth}\,{(x)} \\ \textrm{coth}\,{(y)} &= x \\ \frac{\cosh{(y)}}{\sinh{(y)}} &= x \\ \frac{\frac{1}{2}\,\left( \mathrm{e}^{y} + \mathrm{e}^{-y} \right) }{\frac{1}{2} \left( \mathrm{e}^y - \mathrm{e}^{-y} \right) } &= x \\ \frac{\mathrm{e}^y + \mathrm{e}^{-y}}{\mathrm{e}^y - \mathrm{e}^{-y}} &= x \\ \mathrm{e}^y + \mathrm{e}^{-y} &= x \, \left( \mathrm{e}^y - \mathrm{e}^{-y} \right) \\ \mathrm{e}^y + \mathrm{e}^{-y} &= x\,\mathrm{e}^y - x\,\mathrm{e}^{-y} \\ \mathrm{e}^y \,\left( \mathrm{e}^y + \mathrm{e}^{-y} \right) &= \mathrm{e}^y\,\left( x\,\mathrm{e}^y - x\,\mathrm{e}^{-y} \right) \\ \left( \mathrm{e}^y \right) ^2 + 1 &= x\,\left( \mathrm{e}^y \right) ^2 - x \\ 1 + x &= x\,\left( \mathrm{e}^y \right) ^2 - \left( \mathrm{e}^y \right) ^2 \\ 1 + x &= \left( x - 1 \right) \,\left( \mathrm{e}^y \right) ^2 \\ \frac{x + 1}{x - 1 } &= \left( \mathrm{e}^y \right) ^2 \\ \left( \frac{x + 1}{x - 1} \right) ^{\frac{1}{2}} &= \mathrm{e}^y \\ \ln{ \left[ \left( \frac{x + 1}{x - 1} \right) ^{\frac{1}{2}} \right] } &= y \\ y &= \frac{1}{2} \ln{ \left( \frac{x + 1}{x - 1} \right) } \end{align*}$

Thus $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arcoth}\,{(x)} = \frac{1}{2} \ln{ \left( \frac{x+1}{x -1} \right) } \end{align*}$.

Prove It said:
You shouldn't need to use series to prove this:
As you have ably demonstrated :-), but its in a section on series, so we do what we must.

Is it possible that the series for both \(\displaystyle coth^{-1}\) and \(\displaystyle Tanh^{-1}\) are the same?

I start from $\d{coth^{-1}}{x}-\frac{1}{1-x^2}$

But I don't get the same series for $coth^{-1}$, my 1st problem is that my first term in the series should be f(0) but my calculator says $\frac{1}{Tanh^{-1}(0)} = 0$, so $coth^{-1}$ is singular?

My 2nd term f'''(0), I get $x^3$ instead of $\frac{x^3}{3}$ - so I think I'm doing something wrong...

Last edited:
To summarize what I'm asking:

I think the 1st term of the taylor series for arc coth x is singular, so I can't find a series. Wolfram seems to agree.

If I ignore the 1st term (but cannot justify that), I get something similar to the LHS series I got - but really, I'm just fiddling.

How else can I use series expansion to prove the relation?

Related to Can Series Expansion Prove the Relation Between Inverse Coth and ln(x+1)/(x-1)?

1. What is a power series inverse coth?

A power series inverse coth is a mathematical function that represents the inverse hyperbolic cotangent function as a series of powers of a variable. It is often used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to solve complex equations involving hyperbolic functions.

2. How is a power series inverse coth different from a regular inverse coth?

A power series inverse coth is a more precise and accurate representation of the inverse hyperbolic cotangent function, as it takes into account an infinite number of terms in the series. This allows for more precise calculations and solutions to equations compared to a regular inverse coth, which only considers a few terms.

3. What is the formula for a power series inverse coth?

The formula for a power series inverse coth is ∑[(2n)!/(2^n(n!))^2]x^(2n+1), where n ranges from 0 to infinity and x is the variable. This formula can be used to calculate the value of the inverse hyperbolic cotangent function at a given point.

4. What are some real-world applications of power series inverse coth?

Power series inverse coth has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. It can be used to model and analyze physical phenomena involving hyperbolic functions, such as heat transfer and electrical circuits. It is also used in statistics and finance to solve complex equations and make predictions.

5. How is the convergence of a power series inverse coth determined?

The convergence of a power series inverse coth is determined by the radius of convergence, which is the distance from the center of the series to the farthest point where the series is still considered convergent. This can be calculated using the ratio test or the root test, which determine if the series converges or diverges based on the values of the coefficients in the series.