Can Roads Double as Shelters During Evacuations?

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary: If one accepts the premise that there is no safe way to evacuate 10 million people, then one must also accept that people should not live in the Caribbean in the first place.
OmCheeto said:
[2]California Stop: An automobile driving maneuver in which a driver slows down, but does not stop, at a stop sign.
:DD Around here we call that an «American stop»! Never thought about how Americans called that maneuver before! :DD

Likes OmCheeto
Engineering news on Phys.org
Get out early. Beat the rush.

Stocking up on water and nonperishables, filling the tank, or getting out of dodge.

Do it when the odds of a direct hit are 20% and you will beat the rush.

OmCheeto said:
This is interesting:

"...Florida statutes require educational facilities to meet public shelter design criteria." [ref]​
Looks like your [ref] URL wants to link to your computer...?

ref link1  - Copy.jpg

That's never worked for me, either... . :frown: . :-p

Likes OmCheeto
OCR said:
Looks like your [ref] URL wants to link to your computer...?
That's never worked for me, either... . :frown: . :-p

People actually click on my references?

Hopefully it works better this time:

Theses and Dissertations Thesis and Dissertation Collection
2017-03

The role of schools and their capabilities to ensure safe sheltering during a storm
Dela Cruz, Donalyn A.
Monterey, California: Naval Postgraduate School

ABSTRACT
Across the country, public schools are more than just learning environments for students; they are designated emergency shelters in times of natural disasters, such as hurricanes, tsunamis, and tornadoes. This thesis examines the use of public schools as emergency shelters as an integral part of homeland security. It specifically addresses the experiences in the State of Hawaii and examines the practices and policies of Florida, Texas, and Japan. Through a case study of these locations, recommendations are made for the State of Hawaii regarding the practice of maintaining schools as shelters, strengthening security and safety, and clarifying its role.

Seems like a good idea to me.

@OmCheeto ,

Sure, that goes with one of the principles on my list; use what you already have.

The article says, "FEMA requires all facilities that provide storm sheltering to comply with ICC 500, the standard for design and construction of storm shelters." and "What is not noted in the [plan] ...the necessary changes to build or retrofit schools to comply with storm sheltering standards." But typical of government-speak, the report talks of the deficit of schools meeting the standards, of budgets for improvement, yada yada, but no mention of the actual capacity of standard-ready schools. There is also a lack of info I see (I'm a part time Florida resident) instructing people where to go to find shelter.

By the way, the same article says, "More than 1.5 million Floridians live in evacuation zones" whereas the Miami Herald article said 6.5 million were ordered out for Irma; a big discrepancy. I suspect either a typo, or an understatement. Perhaps it was really only 1.5 million evacuates, or perhaps an additional 5 million people left who were not ordered out. I'm not sure where to look for a clarification.

Homes should be built hurricane proof so evacuation is unnecessary. My house in Tavernier(upper Keys) was poured concrete, even the roof, on columns with floor well above anything a "storm surge" had to run over. I refused to evacuate because the authorities put up roadblocks and won't let you come home for days.

There are places you just shouldn't build. That's the folly of National Flood Insurance Program, it has encouraged buildng inappropriate structures where there should be only expendable fishing shacks.

old jim

Likes Dr. Courtney and Bystander
anorlunda said:
That's kind of what I inferred with my micro-survey:

OmCheeto said:
And perhaps a small survey:
Do you have friends to stay with? And if so, where?
If not, how far can you drive on a half a tank of gas?

Looking at the map I just found, it looks as though the furthest distance of "evacuation" to "non-evacuation" locations is Key West to Miami: 170 miles

2017.10.01.Florida.disaster.map.png

Hurricane Evacuation Zones [ref]

So the second question may be moot. I would simply devise a plan that everyone else be designated a safe location within 150 miles of home.
One of the layers on the map shows evacuation routes. Perhaps people who need to evacuate could enter their zip codes, and the disaster agency in charge could direct them to a designated site, along a certain route.

By the way, the same article says, "More than 1.5 million Floridians live in evacuation zones" whereas the Miami Herald article said 6.5 million were ordered out for Irma; a big discrepancy. I suspect either a typo, or an understatement. Perhaps it was really only 1.5 million evacuates, or perhaps an additional 5 million people left who were not ordered out. I'm not sure where to look for a clarification.

This is something I've also found researching the situation in Puerto Rico. Lots of conflicting information.

Good work on finding that map Om. But the link doesn't work, so I can't view it..

The Keys are a special case, and The Keys seem to have evacuations well handled. The rest of southern FL was my focus, and most of those people should only need to drive a short distance. Instead, many or most of them decided to drive 660 miles to Atlanta, or 1000 miles to New Orleans. That's what motivated me to create this thread. Such long distance evacuations reflect poor planing and poor options for citizens.

But to fully understand, combine that map you posted of evacuation areas, with the satellite image below. The huge black areas between Miami and Marco Island and south of Lake Okeechobee are Everglades and Big Cyprus Swamp. In other words, most of the square miles in the south Florida evacuation areas are under water naturally, so they shouldn't count.

first-national-bank-kayakfari-florida-bay-kayak-24.jpg

(Ignore that blue-tinted key-shaped anomaly north of the middle keys. I have no idea what that is.)

North of Lake Okeechobee, east-west evacuation to the nearest inland area is much more practical. (Hooray, we're going to Disney. :biggrin:)

But trying to make it clearer still, let me focus on just Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. (population 5.7 million) In the figure below, I drew a rough line. Now imagine everyone on the white area east of the line evacuating to the white area west of the line. Ignore the black areas because they are under water. That is the plan that the Miami Herald article says that experts endorse.

miami.png

OmCheeto said:
People actually click on my references?
:check:...
OmCheeto said:
Hopefully it works better this time:
:thumbup:...

What about evacuating some people by ship? I'm sure you can fit a lot of people onto a large cargo ship. For a cheaper fix on sheltering in place, what about something like the "Ark Two Shelter" (I bunch of buses buried under concrete and dirt) placed on higher ground so it won't be covered by water?

Not really pretty but the basic idea seems sound (maybe with cargo containers instead of buses). I don't know how such an idea would be paid for or organized though. It doesn't really seem suited towards a government project.

It doesn't seem like a lot of people die from hurricanes in the US. Is investing to much into this really worthwhile?

Last edited:
I would guess a freighter could easily out run most hurricanes, they seem pretty slow.

However, I would bet they would get a lot of Norovirus infections.

russ_watters said:
For perspective, Puerto Rico has a population of 3.4 million and last I heard a death toll of 10 from Maria. This pales in comparison to Katrina's death toll of 1800.

We can build houses to withstand hurricanes. If they do it in in a charitably described "developing" territory, it isn't that hard. It just goes back to some of the same issues from the blackouts thread; getting people to care enough to put it into the building codes(see also: tornado alley). In Puerto Rico, that's not an issue: you know your home's construction will be tested, so you construct it accordingly.
The problem is not so much with the structure being torn down as with the entire neighborhood being flooded.

I wouldn't count on the death toll being 10. As with most disasters, communications are not available for most of the island. So there many be many untallied deaths. And, of course, without power and transportation, there will likely be more casualties.

Modern city life is critically dependent on infrastructure.

Evanish said:
What about evacuating some people by ship? I'm sure you can fit a lot of people onto a large cargo ship.
I saw that a cruise ship was in Puerto Rico last week to evacuate people. I was curious how long it would take that ship to shuttle all 3.4 million people to Florida.
Answer: 12 years

For a cheaper fix on sheltering in place, what about something like the "Ark Two Shelter" (I bunch of buses buried under concrete and dirt) placed on higher ground so it won't be covered by water?

Not really pretty but the basic idea seems sound (maybe with cargo containers instead of buses). I don't know how such an idea would be paid for or organized though. It doesn't really seem suited towards a government project.
No comment.

It doesn't seem like a lot of people die from hurricanes in the US. Is investing to much into this really worthwhile?
I did the maths on the death rate in the Houston metro area.
Death rate without hurricanes: 140 people/day
Death rate from hurricane Harvey: 70 people/(a REALLY BAD hurricane)

So my answer would be no.

Likes Dr. Courtney and Evanish
jack action said:
So nobody should live in the Caribbean? Countries should be completely erased, because no one should be allowed to live there?

Don't you think this is an overreaction? There are way worst catastrophes happening in other (less developed) parts of the world, yet no one say such statements. These kind of things have happened for as long as humanity has existed and people adapt and live with it. Welcome to planet Earth.

If one doesn't want to live there, fine. If one wants to share his/her concerns with others, fine. If one doesn't want to help them, fine by me as well. But if one wants to force someone to do something because he/she wants to calm his/her fears, or doesn't want to help if something goes wrong and doesn't want to feel the guilt that may come with it, I think nobody has that right.
Part of the problem, at least in the U.S is that few people want to pay the price ( insurance- and otherwise) for their choice of living in a high-risk place. These people end up often being subsidized by others, which does not seem fair.

WWGD said:
Part of the problem, at least in the U.S is that few people want to pay the price ( insurance- and otherwise) for their choice of living in a high-risk place. These people end up often being subsidized by others, which does not seem fair.
That is true. But I prefer people having the choice to help others up to their means, rather than forcing others to do things the «accepted» way, because we fear it will cost too much when they will need help. With the former, everybody has freedom of choice, with the latter, only the ones following the norm (willingly) have that privilege.

Dunno bout public policy. But if I lived in New Orleans, points south, or coastal Mississippi, I'd be headed for higher ground by now.