Can Resistors Be Used in A/C Circuits?

In summary, resistors can be used with AC power just like they can be used with DC power. However, the role of the resistor remains the same in both cases- to limit the current flow.
DkEnrgyFrk
I thought that resistors, like the ones that I buy at RadioShack, could only be used on D/C circuits. I was looking up how to's on electromagnets and found a thread that mentioned using resistors with A/C power.
The thread was on this forum but I can't find it now.
I am guessing that the post was being very vague and that a power adapter must have been used in the circuit. Not just a resistor.
A power adapter, like the ones for USB devices and pc power supplies aren't just transforming the voltage by downgrading it to a lower voltage, they are converting it to DC as well, right?
So I'm guessing that that was forgotten to be mentioned.
Or are there resistors that are used in A/C circuits? Well, I mean, true resistors, not lamps, etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Basic role of resistor remains same in AC circuits as well - to limit the current flow.
An easy example : I remember we used to have rheostat type of speed controllers for fans when I was a kid.

The good old ac/dc adapters use transformers to step down ac voltage and then rectify it using diodes. They usually also contain a capacitor as ripple filter.

Now in some mobile charger circuits, I am seeing a smaller adapter circuit which does not require transformers. Basically they use a large wattage resistor to drop the current from AC. then feed it to a bridge rectifier. the output voltage is controlled using a zener diode.

Audio is also AC, of a sort.

AC amplifiers are central to electronics, and they use every part you can think of.

There are also AC power supplies such as inverters and UPS.

I am a moderator for AllAboutElectronics.com, a teaching website for electronics. Look for Bill_Marsden .

resistors are passive components and do not care what kind of voltage is applied, just what the MAX voltage is (overdo it and they'll start to burn --- overdo it enough and they'll explode)

GingerLee said:
Basic role of resistor remains same in AC circuits as well - to limit the current flow.
An easy example : I remember we used to have rheostat type of speed controllers for fans when I was a kid.

The good old ac/dc adapters use transformers to step down ac voltage and then rectify it using diodes. They usually also contain a capacitor as ripple filter.

Now in some mobile charger circuits, I am seeing a smaller adapter circuit which does not require transformers. Basically they use a large wattage resistor to drop the current from AC. then feed it to a bridge rectifier. the output voltage is controlled using a zener diode.

That's a good example. I thought potentiometers were used in DC circuits only and rheostats were used in A/C circuits only. This a good example of parts that can't mingle between the two types of power?

DkEnrgyFrk said:
That's a good example. I thought potentiometers were used in DC circuits only and rheostats were used in A/C circuits only. This a good example of parts that can't mingle between the two types of power?

And just what do you think is the difference between a "potentiomenter" and a "rheostat" and how do you see that making ANY difference in whether you put DC or AC across them?

DkEnrgyFrk said:
In practice today, you'll find the term "rheostat" is used in high power applications, such as motors. A rheostat can be used for AC or DC motor controllers. A potentiometer is typically a very low power device. It, too, can be used for AC or DC.

You'll find that most rheostats have only two terminals, essentially being a variable resistor, whereas the potentiometer with its sliding tap must have three terminals.

(There is another altogether different electrical apparatus named a "potentiometer". )

Related to Can Resistors Be Used in A/C Circuits?

1. What is the purpose of a resistor in an A/C circuit?

A resistor is used in an A/C circuit to limit the flow of electric current. It acts as a barrier to control the amount of current passing through the circuit and helps prevent damage to other components.

2. How does a resistor affect the voltage in an A/C circuit?

A resistor causes a voltage drop in an A/C circuit. This means that the voltage on the output side of the resistor is lower than the voltage on the input side. The amount of voltage drop is determined by the resistance value of the resistor.

3. Can a resistor be used to change the frequency of an A/C circuit?

No, a resistor cannot change the frequency of an A/C circuit. The frequency of an A/C circuit is determined by the source of the alternating current, such as a power outlet, and cannot be altered by a resistor.

4. How do I choose the right resistor for an A/C circuit?

The resistance value of a resistor is measured in ohms. To choose the right resistor for an A/C circuit, you need to know the voltage and current of the circuit and use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance needed. It is also important to consider the power rating of the resistor to ensure it can handle the amount of power in the circuit without overheating.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with resistors in an A/C circuit?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with resistors in an A/C circuit. Always ensure the power is turned off before handling the circuit. Use caution when connecting and disconnecting resistors to prevent electric shock. Additionally, choose resistors with the correct power rating to avoid overheating and potential fire hazards.