Can reality be defined other than at a point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reality and how it is perceived through the propagation of information. The speaker believes that reality can only be defined at a specific point in time and is influenced by one's location and perception. They also mention the idea of eternalism and the concept of past events being just as real as present or future events. However, this contradicts the belief that only the present exists.
jadrian
when i think of a particle standing still, i look at it as if it were moving through time, propagating a wake, the wake representing its information propagation.

the farther you are from the particle, the longer it will take the wake,travelling at c at its fastest to reach you.

because alternate realities seems very paradoxical, i have come to the conclusion that reality travels at the speed of light.

to me there is no other way to view reality.

if the sun dissappears, we will not receive that information for 8 minutes. someone might then, in my opinion falsely, conclude that the sun disappeared 8 minutes ago. however, i firmly believe that 4 minutes ago accoding to us on earth, the sun still existed, and that was our true reality.

because the closest logical explanation of reality would be "reality is what happens in the universe. particle interactions etc.., i have to believe that reality can only be defined at a point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "reality." It is certainly true that information travels no faster than c, but you are using the word "reality" very ambiguously.

jadrian said:
when i think of a particle standing still, i look at it as if it were moving through time, propagating a wake, the wake representing its information propagation.

the farther you are from the particle, the longer it will take the wake,travelling at c at its fastest to reach you.

because alternate realities seems very paradoxical, i have come to the conclusion that reality travels at the speed of light.

to me there is no other way to view reality.

if the sun dissappears, we will not receive that information for 8 minutes. someone might then, in my opinion falsely, conclude that the sun disappeared 8 minutes ago. however, i firmly believe that 4 minutes ago accoding to us on earth, the sun still existed, and that was our true reality.

because the closest logical explanation of reality would be "reality is what happens in the universe. particle interactions etc.., i have to believe that reality can only be defined at a point.

^also, is this just a roundabout way of realizing that space and time are connected?

elfmotat said:
Define "reality." It is certainly true that information travels no faster than c, but you are using the word "reality" very ambiguously.

basically the idea entities which interact with each other moving forward in time, tied into the idea of existence.

elfmotat said:

more simply i think of reality as the propagation of information and the effects the information has on other things that exist in the universe.

i think my view is congruent with eternalism, and the idea that there is no so thing as simultaneity, and reference and location effectively make your time depend on your location, and that past events cand be considered as real as present or future events.

jadrian said:
i think my view is congruent with eternalism, and the idea that there is no so thing as simultaneity, and reference and location effectively make your time depend on your location, and that past events cand be considered as real as present or future events.

contradicting the view that only the present exists

Related to Can reality be defined other than at a point?

1. Can reality be defined as a range instead of a specific point?

Yes, reality can be defined as a range rather than a specific point. This is because reality is constantly changing and evolving, and it is not always possible to pinpoint a specific moment or point that defines it.

2. Is reality subjective or objective?

This is a debated topic, but many scientists believe that reality is a combination of both subjective and objective elements. Our perceptions and experiences may be subjective, but there are also objective facts and truths that exist in reality.

3. Can reality be defined differently by different individuals?

Yes, reality can be defined differently by different individuals. Our perceptions, experiences, and beliefs shape our understanding of reality, so it is natural for different people to have different definitions or interpretations of it.

4. Does reality exist independently of human perception?

This is a complex philosophical question, but from a scientific perspective, it is believed that reality exists independently of human perception. However, our perceptions and observations play a crucial role in shaping our understanding and interpretation of reality.

5. Can reality be defined by scientific laws and theories?

Many scientists believe that reality can be defined by scientific laws and theories. These theories provide explanations and predictions about how the physical world works, which can help us understand and define reality. However, there may also be aspects of reality that are not yet explained by science.