Can Quantum Physics Calculations Be Troublesome?

• Thread starter lily15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the smallest energy that would lead to an emission line at 360 nm is 3.44 eV, but the website is telling you it's wrong.
lily15
Hello, i have a few questions that i need help in if anyone can help me. I have tried to answer all of them, yet the answers i get the website i use to input the answers says it's wrong. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

1) A quantum system's lowest three allowed energies are as shown in the figure below. What possible energies of the n = 4 state would lead to an emission line at 360 nm?

Given:
alpha = 360 nm = 3.60*10E-7 m
c = 2.998*10E8 m/s is speed of light
h = 6.626*10E-34 J*s is Planck constant
e = 1.602*10E-19 C is elementary charge

Smallest energy:________eV *The answer i keep getting is 3.44eV but the site i am
using tells me it's wrong?

n3--------E3= 4.0eV
n2--------E2= 1.5eV
n1--------E1= 0.0eV

2) The measurements of a photoelectric-effect experiment are graphed in in the figure below, in which the intervals along the horizontal and vertical axes are respectively given by 4.0 1014 Hz and 1.49 V, respectively.

*From graph we get the f-axis intercept at Vstop = 0
*graph is attached
figure for question 2.gif

Given:
fmax = 4.0*10E14 Hz
Vmax = 1.49 V

a) What is the work function of the cathode?________eV * I keep getting 0.551eV and
again the site tells me it's wrong.

b)What experimental value of Planck's constant is obtained from these data?________J s

*Here i keep getting 8.95E-34 J*s

3)The figure below shows a molecular energy-level diagram. In the figure, E1 = 0.55 eV, E2 = 2.40 eV, and E3 = 3.00 eV.

*graph is attached
figure 2 for question 3.gif

Given:
Eo = 0 eV
E1 = 0.55 eV
E2 = 2.40 eV
E3 = 3.00 eV

(a) What are the longest wavelength in the molecule's absorption spectrum?
Longest wavelength:________nm *The answer i get is 2250nm

(b) What are the longest and shortest wavelengths in the molecule's fluorescence spectrum?
Longest wavelength:________nm *the answer i get is 2250nm
Shortest wavelength:________nm *the answer i get is 413nm

4)The first three energy levels of the fictitious element X are shown in Figure P38.55, in which E1 = -3.7 eV, E2 = -1.7 eV, and E3 = -1.1 eV.

*graph is attached
figure 3 for question 4.gif

Given:
E1 = -3.7 eV
E2 = -1.7 eV
E3 = -1.1 eV
vo = 1.0*10E6 m/s
alpha = 2068 nm = 2.068*10-6 m
m = 9.109*10E-31 kg is mass of electron

(a) Calculate the (i) shortest and (ii) next-shortest wavelengths observed in the absorption spectrum of element X
(i)________nm *the answer i got was 335nm
(ii)________nm *the answer i got was 729nm

(d) An electron with a speed of 1.0 106 m/s collides with an atom of element X. Shortly afterward, the atom emits a 2068 nm photon. What was the electron's speed after the collision? Assume that, because the atom is so much more massive than the electron, the recoil of the atom is negligible. (Hint: The energy of the photon is not the energy transferred to the atom in the collision.)
________m/s *the answer i got was 8.88E5m/s

5) Fluorescence microscopy, discussed in a previous section, is an important tool in modern cell biology. A variation on this technique depends on a phenomenon known as two-photon excitation. If two photons are absorbed simultaneously (i.e., within about 10-16 s), their energies can add. A molecule that is normally excited by a 350 nm photon can be excited by two photons each having half as much energy. For this process to be useful, photons must illuminate the sample at the very high rate of at least 1029 photons/m2·s. This is achieved by focusing a laser beam to a small spot and by concentrating the power of the laser into very short (10-13 s) pulses that are fired 108 times each second. Suppose a biologist wants to use two-photon excitation to excite a molecular species that would be excited by 455 nm light in normal one-photon fluorescence microscopy. What minimum intensity must the laser beam have during each pulse?

Given:
alpha = 455 nm = 4.55*10-7 m
n = 10E29 photons/(m2•s)
delta t = 10E-13 s
N = 10E8 s-1

________W/m2 *the answer i got was 2.18E15 W/m2

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @lily15,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

The reasons it has taken so long for a reply are:
(a) You've put too many questions into a single thread. Only one question per thread please.
(b) You haven't fully shown your work. Don't just tell us what you got, tell us how you got to that answer.

lily15 said:
Hello, i have a few questions that i need help in if anyone can help me. I have tried to answer all of them, yet the answers i get the website i use to input the answers says it's wrong. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

1) A quantum system's lowest three allowed energies are as shown in the figure below. What possible energies of the n = 4 state would lead to an emission line at 360 nm?

Given:
alpha = 360 nm = 3.60*10E-7 m

Smallest energy:________eV *The answer i keep getting is 3.44eV but the site i am
using tells me it's wrong?

n3--------E3= 4.0eV
n2--------E2= 1.5eV
n1--------E1= 0.0eV

The energy of the 360 nm photon is 3.44 eV, but that's not what the question is asking for. The question is asking for a possible energy level of the [itex] n_4 [/itex] state. The smallest energy transition involving the [itex] n_4 [/itex] state and lower energy states would correspond to an electron transitioning between the [itex] n_4 [/itex] state and the [itex] n_3 [/itex] state. So you need to add that energy to the [itex] E_3 [/itex] energy.

3.44 eV + 4 eV = 7.44 eV.

lily15 said:
2) The measurements of a photoelectric-effect experiment are graphed in in the figure below, in which the intervals along the horizontal and vertical axes are respectively given by 4.0 1014 Hz and 1.49 V, respectively.

*From graph we get the f-axis intercept at Vstop = 0
*graph is attached
View attachment 13761

Given:
fmax = 4.0*10E14 Hz
Vmax = 1.49 V
h = 6.626*10E-34 J*s is Planck constanta) What is the work function of the cathode?________eV * I keep getting 0.551eV and
again the site tells me it's wrong.

What is the minimum frequency which causes an effect? I interpret the minimum frequency to be [itex] 8.0 \times 10^{14} \ \mathrm{Hz} [/itex]. Using Planck's constant, convert that to energy (in units of electron volts).

lily15 said:
b)What experimental value of Planck's constant is obtained from these data?________J s

*Here i keep getting 8.95E-34 J*s

You need to determine the slope of the line, i.e., the "rise over the run." Since the rise in units of Volts, you'll need to convert that to Joules, since we're talking about single electrons per interaction here. Use the fundamental charge of an electron as part of the calculations.

lily15 said:
3)The figure below shows a molecular energy-level diagram. In the figure, E1 = 0.55 eV, E2 = 2.40 eV, and E3 = 3.00 eV.

*graph is attached
View attachment 13762

Given:
Eo = 0 eV
E1 = 0.55 eV
E2 = 2.40 eV
E3 = 3.00 eV

(a) What are the longest wavelength in the molecule's absorption spectrum?
Longest wavelength:________nm *The answer i get is 2250nm

The longest wavelength will correspond to the smallest energy gap between bands. What's the energy between [itex] E_2 [/itex] and [itex] E_1 [/itex]? Convert that to wavelength.

lily15 said:
(b) What are the longest and shortest wavelengths in the molecule's fluorescence spectrum?
Longest wavelength:________nm *the answer i get is 2250nm
Shortest wavelength:________nm *the answer i get is 413nm

Similarly, the shortest wavelength corresponds to the largest energy transition. Try [itex] E_4 [/itex] and 0.

lily15 said:
4)The first three energy levels of the fictitious element X are shown in Figure P38.55, in which E1 = -3.7 eV, E2 = -1.7 eV, and E3 = -1.1 eV.

*graph is attached
View attachment 13763

Given:
E1 = -3.7 eV
E2 = -1.7 eV
E3 = -1.1 eV
vo = 1.0*10E6 m/s
alpha = 2068 nm = 2.068*10-6 m
m = 9.109*10E-31 kg is mass of electron

(a) Calculate the (i) shortest and (ii) next-shortest wavelengths observed in the absorption spectrum of element X
(i)________nm *the answer i got was 335nm
(ii)________nm *the answer i got was 729nm

(d) An electron with a speed of 1.0 106 m/s collides with an atom of element X. Shortly afterward, the atom emits a 2068 nm photon. What was the electron's speed after the collision? Assume that, because the atom is so much more massive than the electron, the recoil of the atom is negligible. (Hint: The energy of the photon is not the energy transferred to the atom in the collision.)
________m/s *the answer i got was 8.88E5m/s

[itex] 8.88 \times 10^5 \ \mathrm{m/s} [/itex] looks good to me.

lily15 said:
5) Fluorescence microscopy, discussed in a previous section, is an important tool in modern cell biology. A variation on this technique depends on a phenomenon known as two-photon excitation. If two photons are absorbed simultaneously (i.e., within about 10-16 s), their energies can add. A molecule that is normally excited by a 350 nm photon can be excited by two photons each having half as much energy. For this process to be useful, photons must illuminate the sample at the very high rate of at least 1029 photons/m2·s. This is achieved by focusing a laser beam to a small spot and by concentrating the power of the laser into very short (10-13 s) pulses that are fired 108 times each second. Suppose a biologist wants to use two-photon excitation to excite a molecular species that would be excited by 455 nm light in normal one-photon fluorescence microscopy. What minimum intensity must the laser beam have during each pulse?

Given:
alpha = 455 nm = 4.55*10-7 m
n = 10E29 photons/(m2•s)
delta t = 10E-13 s
N = 10E8 s-1

________W/m2 *the answer i got was 2.18E15 W/m2

Since we're only concerned with the intensity during a pulse, pulse duration and pulse frequency are irrelevant. It's just a matter of converting [itex] 10^{29} [/itex] photons/sec to Watts. So what's the energy of a single 455(2) nm = 910 nm photon?

Related to Can Quantum Physics Calculations Be Troublesome?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of particles at the quantum level, which is very different from the macroscopic world that we experience.

2. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as nuclear energy, materials science, and medical imaging.

3. How is quantum physics related to other branches of science?

Quantum physics is closely connected to other branches of science, such as chemistry, biology, and astronomy. It provides the foundation for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which are essential for understanding chemical reactions and biological processes. Additionally, quantum mechanics is used to study the behavior of particles in space, which is crucial for understanding the universe.

4. What are some key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include wave-particle duality, superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty principle. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and are essential for understanding many quantum phenomena and technologies.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

One common misconception about quantum physics is that it only applies to very small particles and has no relevance to our everyday lives. However, as mentioned earlier, quantum physics has many practical applications and is crucial for understanding the world around us. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics allows for anything to happen, but in reality, it still follows specific laws and principles, just at a smaller scale than classical physics.