Can Pre-Processing EEG Signals Affect Correlation Coefficients?

• Thread starter kaushik200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signals
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the correlation between a pair of EEG signals in various frequency bands. The signals are pre-processed by filtering out frequencies below 0.5 Hz and notching out 50 Hz. The concern is whether the phase changes introduced by these filters would affect the correlation coefficient. The main objective is to study the correlation between different electrode pairs and potential suggestions for mitigating any impact of the filters on the correlation value are sought.
kaushik200
Hello,
I need to calculate the correlation betweeen a pair of eeg signals in various bands (delta, theta, alpha...). Before I do so, I am filtering out frequencies below 0.5 Hz. (and also notching out 50 Hz.) I wonder whether the phase changes introduced by these filtering operations would affect my correlation coefficient. If yes, what kind of filter should I use? My prime objective is to study the correlation between different electrode pairs and I am concerned about these values getting affected by pre-processing.

Kaushik

Engineering news on Phys.org
kaushik200 said:
Hello,
I need to calculate the correlation betweeen a pair of eeg signals in various bands (delta, theta, alpha...). Before I do so, I am filtering out frequencies below 0.5 Hz. (and also notching out 50 Hz.) I wonder whether the phase changes introduced by these filtering operations would affect my correlation coefficient. If yes, what kind of filter should I use? My prime objective is to study the correlation between different electrode pairs and I am concerned about these values getting affected by pre-processing.

Kaushik

At first it sounds like you want to correlate signals of different frequencies, but that doesn't sound right. But then it sounds like you want to correlate signals in the same band, but from spatially separate electrodes (which sounds better). If the two signals are in the same band with the same processing, I think the processing should not have a big effect on the correlation.

Could you please clarify what you will be correlating?

berkeman said:
At first it sounds like you want to correlate signals of different frequencies, but that doesn't sound right. But then it sounds like you want to correlate signals in the same band, but from spatially separate electrodes (which sounds better). If the two signals are in the same band with the same processing, I think the processing should not have a big effect on the correlation.

Could you please clarify what you will be correlating?

Hi, sorry for not being clear enough. eeg readings have been taken from 45 different electrode positions on the scalp @ 256 samples/sec. These signals usually do not have components greater than 128 Hz. I intend to calculate time correlation coefficient between each pair of signal (there are 45c2 pairs) in 4 different bands of interest (0.5-4,4-8,8-12,12-16). Before I do so, all signals are bandlimited to within 0.5-64 Hz. (as a pre-processing formality) to remove very low and high freq. I wonder if the phase delay introduced by these digital filters (while pre-processing as well as while choosing the band of interest) would have a strong impact on the calculated correlation value. If so, I am looking for suggestions as to how to combat this.

kaushik200 said:
Hi, sorry for not being clear enough. eeg readings have been taken from 45 different electrode positions on the scalp @ 256 samples/sec. These signals usually do not have components greater than 128 Hz. I intend to calculate time correlation coefficient between each pair of signal (there are 45c2 pairs) in 4 different bands of interest (0.5-4,4-8,8-12,12-16). Before I do so, all signals are bandlimited to within 0.5-64 Hz. (as a pre-processing formality) to remove very low and high freq. I wonder if the phase delay introduced by these digital filters (while pre-processing as well as while choosing the band of interest) would have a strong impact on the calculated correlation value. If so, I am looking for suggestions as to how to combat this.

So you are only correlating signals within the same frequency band, correct?

berkeman said:
So you are only correlating signals within the same frequency band, correct?

Yes, of course :)

Related to Can Pre-Processing EEG Signals Affect Correlation Coefficients?

1. What is pre-processing of EEG signals?

Pre-processing of EEG signals refers to the various techniques and methods used to clean, filter, and enhance raw EEG data before further analysis. It involves removing artifacts, correcting for noise, and transforming the data into a more usable format for analysis.

2. Why is pre-processing important in EEG signal analysis?

Pre-processing is crucial in EEG signal analysis because it helps to improve the quality and reliability of the data. By removing artifacts, correcting for noise, and filtering out unwanted signals, pre-processing allows for more accurate and meaningful interpretation of EEG signals.

3. What are some common techniques used in pre-processing of EEG signals?

Some common techniques used in pre-processing of EEG signals include bandpass filtering, artifact rejection, and baseline correction. Bandpass filtering is used to remove unwanted frequency components from the data. Artifact rejection involves identifying and removing any signals that are not generated by the brain, such as eye movements or muscle activity. Baseline correction is used to adjust for any baseline shifts in the data.

4. How can pre-processing affect the results of EEG signal analysis?

The quality of pre-processing can significantly impact the results of EEG signal analysis. If pre-processing is not done properly, it can lead to inaccurate or misleading conclusions. On the other hand, well-executed pre-processing techniques can improve the accuracy and reliability of the results, leading to more meaningful insights.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in pre-processing of EEG signals?

Yes, there are some challenges and limitations in pre-processing of EEG signals. One major challenge is identifying and removing artifacts without losing important brain signals. Additionally, pre-processing techniques can vary based on factors such as the type of EEG equipment used and the individual differences in brain activity, which can make it challenging to develop standardized pre-processing methods.