Can potential energy be greater than total energy?

In summary, the problem states that an object with a constant energy of 1J experiences a force with a potential energy modeled by U = 2e^(-x^2) as it moves in the positive x direction. The object will slow down as the potential energy increases and speed up as it decreases, but when U is greater than 1, the object will not move at all. This is because it is not possible for the kinetic energy to be negative in order for the total energy to remain constant. This is similar to throwing a stone up at 1m/s and expecting it to reach an altitude of 1km, which is not possible. Therefore, the object will never reach a potential energy greater than 1 and
thomasb1215
I'm working on a homework problem which states:

"Some object, starting from far down the negative x-axis and moving in the positive x direction, experiences a force, the potential energy U of which is modeled by the function U = 2e^(-x^2), where x is in meters and U is in Joules. The total energy E of the object remains constant at E = 1J. Describe the motion of the object."

The problem isn't worded that well but I take it to mean the potential energy of the object, not of the force.

Relevant equations:
E = U + K
ΔU + ΔK = 0

I understand everything up until the point where U = 1. I know that the greater the potential energy gets, the lesser the kinetic energy gets due to conservation of energy. Thus, the object will slow down as U gets larger and speed up as U gets smaller. When U is greater a than 1, however, K would have to be negative for E to remain constant, which I know is not possible, so I am confused. Am I overlooking something that has to do with the force applied to the object?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
thomasb1215 said:
When U is greater a than 1..., which I know is not possible,
Exactly. So what does that tell you about the motion of the object?

My guess would be that it's not moving, but I'm still not sure how that makes sense in the E = U + K equation.

thomasb1215 said:
My guess would be that it's not moving
It tells you more than that.
You wrote, correctly:
thomasb1215 said:
... U is greater than 1, however, ... is not possible
Think about this: if you throw a stone up at 1m/s, what will be its speed when it reaches an altitude of 1km?

So it never gets there in the first place.

thomasb1215 said:
So it never gets there in the first place.
Indeed.

Related to Can potential energy be greater than total energy?

1. Can potential energy ever be greater than total energy?

Yes, it is possible for potential energy to be greater than total energy. This can happen when the object has a negative kinetic energy, such as when it is moving in the opposite direction of a force.

2. How is potential energy related to total energy?

Potential energy is a component of total energy. Total energy is the sum of an object's potential energy and kinetic energy. As an object moves and interacts with its surroundings, the potential and kinetic energy may change, but the total energy remains constant.

3. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This can occur when the reference point for measuring potential energy is chosen arbitrarily or when the object has a negative velocity. In such cases, the potential energy is still a valid measure of the energy of the system.

4. How does the location of an object affect its potential energy?

The location of an object can greatly affect its potential energy. The potential energy of an object is directly related to its position in a gravitational or electric field. The higher an object is in a gravitational field, the greater its potential energy. Similarly, the farther an object is from a source of electric charge, the greater its potential energy.

5. Is potential energy conserved?

Yes, potential energy is a conserved quantity. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted between different forms. As an object moves and its potential energy changes, the total energy of the system remains constant.