Can Polaroid Filters Affect Light Transmission Percentages?

• Thread starter Annie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physic
In summary, the conversation discusses physics problems involving polarized light passing through filters and the value of n associated with a specific series line in hydrogen. The questioner requests solutions but is given a hint instead. They also mention the importance of considering the angle of successive polarizers in relation to light intensity.
Annie
Plz help me For these physics problems!

Plz help me For these physics problems! Plz give me the solutions. Thank you.

1. Vertically polarized light is passed through three successive polaroid filters. The transmission axes are at 30, 60, and 30 degrees to the vertical. What percentage of the light gets through?

2. What value of n is associated with the lyman series line in hydrogen with lamda = 96 nm? Could it be any other series? Explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Annie, no one is going to "give" you the solutions. I'll give you a hint for #1 though.

1) Look for a relationship between light intensity and polarizer angle. Then realize that the output intensity from one polarizer is the input intensity for the next polarizer in sequence (but be careful with the angle on the successive polarizers).

Related to Can Polaroid Filters Affect Light Transmission Percentages?

1. What are some strategies for solving physics problems?

One strategy is to draw a diagram or visualize the problem. Another is to identify what information is given and what is unknown. You can also use equations and formulas, and break the problem down into smaller steps.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

Practice is key. It's important to not only solve problems, but also to understand the underlying concepts and principles. You can also try teaching the concepts to someone else, as explaining it can help solidify your understanding.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

Take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes stepping away from a problem can give you a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar problems or asking a friend or teacher for help.

4. How do I know which equations to use in a physics problem?

First, identify what the problem is asking for and what information is given. Then, look for equations or formulas that involve those variables. It's also important to pay attention to units and use equations that have the same units as the given information.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve physics problems?

Yes, calculators can be very helpful in solving physics problems. Just be sure to use the correct units and input the numbers accurately. Also, it's important to understand the concepts behind the calculations rather than solely relying on the calculator.