Can Physics Newcomers Tackle Momentum and Velocity Questions?

• Thread starter phyzacs
  • Start date
In summary, the object's final velocity is 3.0 m/s. In summary, the projectile is deflected through an angle of 90.0 degrees and its speed after the collision is 6.0 m/s. WHat is the speed of the target body after the collision is perfectly elastic?Since the force oppose the moving direction, you should get deceleration.
phyzacs
hi guys I am a college junior...taking physics for the first time in my life...its fun...but still tuff...just can i get help with these couple questions..i mean it would be very gracious of any of u to help me out...i know I am new and all, but this place...i was just browsing around and it rocked sooo...and

wow i never new this place existed...i might come here much more often

question 1: a 3.0 kg body is initially moving northward at 15m/s. Then a force of 15N, towards the east acts on it for 4.0 s (a) At the end of the 4.0 s, what's the body's final velocity? (b) what is the change in momentum during the 4.0 s?

i know the answers...can you just show me how to work out part A? i know b is 60 but i keep getting 25 for part a which is not right

i would really appreciate this...thank you...illpost the other 3 questions as well ? :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The position of three particles written as (x,y) coordinates are, particle 1 (mass 4.0 kg) at (4.0m, 0m); particle 2 (mass 6.0kg) at (2.0m, 4.0m); particle 3 (mass 3.0 kg) at (-1.0m, -2.0) what is the location of the center of mass?

A projectile of mass 2.0 Kg approaches a stationary target body at 8.0 m/s. The projectile is deflected through an angle of 90.0 degrees and its speed after the collision is 6.0 m/s. WHat is the speed of the target body after the collision is perfectly elastic?

any help on how to do this one guyzz??

phyzacs said:
The position of three particles written as (x,y) coordinates are, particle 1 (mass 4.0 kg) at (4.0m, 0m); particle 2 (mass 6.0kg) at (2.0m, 4.0m); particle 3 (mass 3.0 kg) at (-1.0m, -2.0) what is the location of the center of mass?

solved thsi one, thanks

phyzacs said:
A projectile of mass 2.0 Kg approaches a stationary target body at 8.0 m/s. The projectile is deflected through an angle of 90.0 degrees and its speed after the collision is 6.0 m/s. WHat is the speed of the target body after the collision is perfectly elastic?

any help on how to do this one guyzz??

is this one like this?

.2(8) + .2(6)= 2.8 m/s?

For the first part, mind your direction is all the thing I can advised on kinematic question.
For third one, split the case into 2 parts which are y-component and x-component.
Do these help?

thanks for responding...what do u mean mind the direction?? meaning the 90 degrees? but how?

and for the second one i think u mean i did split it into the x,y and it worked...

now the third one, is thatright?

Last edited:
Since the force oppose the moving direction, you should get deceleration.
My x- and y- component is for the third one since you already know how to deal with the second one. Btw, are you given the mass of the target body?

i mean the answer is supposed to be 2.8 m/s...so I am confused to what I am doingwrong...why does the deflection even matter? i mean isn't it just initial and final speeds?

and any idea on the first one...

of course it matter, i think your third question has missing information. Can you recheck? How can we solve for the target body without any information given on it at all.

Sorry for the first part, I mistook the direction of force as south. Since the force is acting eastwards, take the initial velocity of the object in the east direction to be 0 and calculate its final velocity. Since east and north are perpendicular to each other, the force will not impose any effect on the northward movement. with one velocity in the north direction and the other in the east direction, you can calculate the final velocity.

Related to Can Physics Newcomers Tackle Momentum and Velocity Questions?

What is the purpose of "Need help with a few questions"?

The purpose of "Need help with a few questions" is to seek assistance in understanding and solving a specific problem or set of questions.

How do I ask for help with specific questions?

To ask for help with specific questions, provide clear and concise information about the problem or questions and be specific about the areas where you need assistance.

What should I include in my request for help?

In your request for help, you should include all relevant information such as the problem or questions, any steps you have taken to try and solve it, and any specific areas where you are struggling.

How can I ensure that I receive helpful responses to my request for help?

To receive helpful responses, be polite and respectful in your request and provide as much detail as possible. Also, consider asking for help from knowledgeable and experienced individuals in the specific subject area.

Are there any resources I can use to help me with my questions?

Yes, there are many resources available such as online forums, academic websites, and study groups where you can ask for help and receive assistance from others with similar expertise or experience.