Can photons act as medium for sound?

In summary, it is not clear whether light can collectively or individual photons act as a medium for propagation of sound waves.
aditya_the quazarboy
can light collectively or individual photons act as a medium for propagation of sound waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. For one thing, photons do not collide with each other.

DrClaude said:
photons do not collide with each other.
Not frequent enough to transmit sound, but sometimes they do collide.

aditya_the quazarboy said:
can light collectively or individual photons act as a medium for propagation of sound waves?
It's not clear what the context of this question is. It is certainly possible to use a powerful, modulated light beam to vary the temperature in a gas at a high rate, which could manifest itself as an audible pulse as the gas expands. But i don't know of a system that actually uses the effect to 'transmit' an audio signal and directly produce sound without some intermediate form of transducer.

Ever listened to a radio?

Likes Stuschreib
dukwon said:
I don't think that radio waves change the temperature t transmit sound

dukwon said:

no! that is not correct ... not in the context of the OP's question

lychette said:
I don't think that radio waves change the temperature t transmit sound
If you focus a powerful case beam onto a small volume, it will raise the temperature fast and that can be audible. It is very hard to produce heating of air with focussed radio waves as the losses are too low to provide enough energy.

What about lightning.

Buckleymanor said:
What about lightning.
That would be electrical heating - not optical.

Buckleymanor said:
What about lightning.
The lightning isn't carrying any information that represents a sound.
The thunder is a shockwave resulting from rapidly heated air, and is a mix of random frequencies.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Not frequent enough to transmit sound, but sometimes they do collide.

I am not sure this works, even in theory. Gas molecules trying to occupy the same space collide every time. Photons passing near each other interact a fraction of the time proportional to E6. That means the most energetic photons tend to interact more, and thus lose energy. In such a dissiptaive medium, the solutions to your wave equation are not sine and cosine, but rather sinh and cosh. I don't think you get sound waves. Or even waves.

If this discussion continues I'll split it out. It is interesting, but not (B) level.
Vanadium 50 said:
That means the most energetic photons tend to interact more, and thus lose energy.
There has to be some equilibrium, especially if we ignore processes that change the number of photons.
I don't know how a region of higher density would propagate if we have a photon gas much larger than the mean interaction length.

Don't know if this is what the OP was asking, but in laser serveilance, a laser is bounced off the window of a room, and into a receiver. Any sound waves in the room will cause the laser to vibrate. These vibrations can be measured by the receiver, and converted into sound over a speaker. Of course, the vibrations in the beam are not sounds per se, but the laser could be described as "a medium" that carries the sound from the room to the receiver.

Not quite what the OP meant but... some decades ago there was a project in one of the electronics magazines that used a modulated beam of light (pair of torches) to send voice between two houses. Think it was intended as a kids toy.

Related to Can photons act as medium for sound?

1. Can photons act as a medium for sound?

No, photons cannot act as a medium for sound. Sound waves require a physical medium, such as air or water, to travel through. Photons are particles of light and do not have the properties necessary to transmit sound waves.

2. Why can't photons act as a medium for sound?

Photons do not have the necessary properties to transmit sound waves. Sound waves are mechanical vibrations that require a physical medium to travel through, while photons are energy particles that do not have the ability to transmit vibrations.

3. Can sound waves travel through vacuum using photons as a medium?

No, sound waves cannot travel through a vacuum using photons as a medium. A vacuum is an absence of any physical medium, so there is nothing for the photons to transmit the sound waves through.

4. Is there any way to use photons to transmit sound?

While photons cannot act as a medium for sound waves, they can be used to transmit information that can be interpreted as sound. This is how fiber optic cables work - they use photons to transmit data, which can then be converted into sound waves by a device such as a speaker.

5. Are there any other particles that can act as a medium for sound?

Yes, there are other particles that can act as a medium for sound. For example, in solids, sound waves can travel through particles such as molecules, atoms, and electrons. In liquids and gases, sound waves can travel through the movement of molecules.