Can One Star Alone Prevent BEC on a Planet? Explained

In summary: BEC's don't form at temperatures naturally like that. In order for a BEC to form, you would need either a very unusual phenomenon or for human interaction. Space doesn't get cold enough to form a BEC, so therefore it wouldn't form anywhere in space naturally. Though in some quark stars, neutron stars, and other unusual situtations they have been theorized to be.If this thread made you think of such things, then you have a vivid imagination based on what wasn't even said. I don't think this thread can take such "credit".
mkestrgs
If there was a planet and there was no real energy source near it (say like our sun) would a few stars around 100million light years away on all sides of the planet(like our stars) be enought to keep atoms on the planet moving enough to stop BEC, or would BEC occur. Also if there was only one star, then would BEC also be occurring on the other side (that is if one star is enough to stop BEC on the side its shining on) Please give a good explanantion as to why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Er... back up a bit.

What do "moving", another star, or "energy source" have anything to do with the formation of BEC? You do know that superfluids and supercurrent, by their definitions, are "moving" entities, and that these things need not occur at temperatures where everything stop moving, don't you?

Zz.

BEC's don't form at temperatures naturally like that. In order for a BEC to for you would need either a very unusual phenomenon or for human interaction. Space doesn't get cold enough to form a BEC, so therefore it wouldn't form anywhere in space naturally. Though in some quark stars, neutron stars, and other unusual situtations they have been theorized to be.

This thread started me thinking that a huge Nebula of Hydrogen, Helium or Nitrogen could be in some areas a Super cooling System, It got me thinking that some of the Nebulas might contain Activated Super Conductive Material Naturally if the conditions were right and in such a huge system the chances should be great I would think.

A Nebula Storm of Nitrogen at say a 1000 miles an hour would be chilly Willy.

Thanks for making things click.:bugeye:

Last edited:
Intuitive said:
This thread started me thinking that a huge Nebula of Hydrogen, Helium or Nitrogen could be in some areas a Super cooling System, It got me thinking that some of the Nebulas might contain Activated Super Conductive Material Naturally if the conditions were right and in such a huge system the chances should be great I would think.

A Nebula Storm of Nitrogen at say a 1000 miles an hour would be chilly Willy.

Thanks for making things click.:bugeye:

If this thread made you think of such things, then you have a vivid imagination based on what wasn't even said. I don't think this thread can take such "credit".

Zz.

BEC wouldn't work in space because it is a few degrees above absolute zero, do to the radiation left behind form the big bang. BEC occurs when it is less than a few billionths of a degree above absolute zero.

Matthias_Lightbane said:
BEC wouldn't work in space because it is a few degrees above absolute zero, do to the radiation left behind form the big bang. BEC occurs when it is less than a few billionths of a degree above absolute zero.

This isn't true.

There are MANY forms of BEC. What you are referring to is BEC in atomic gas. But do not forget that a superconductor contains condensed cooper pair, which are composite bosons in a BEC. You also have superfluid He4 and He3 in a BEC, and those occur not at that low of a temperature either (certainly not a few billionths of a degree above absolute zero).

So the argument against the OP here isn't the "temperature" but rather the "mechanism" for such a formation.

Zz.

Related to Can One Star Alone Prevent BEC on a Planet? Explained

1. Can one star alone prevent BEC on a planet?

No, one star alone cannot prevent BEC (Bose-Einstein condensate) on a planet. BEC is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, and it is not affected by the presence or absence of a single star.

2. What is BEC?

BEC stands for Bose-Einstein condensate, which is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures. It is a type of matter where atoms lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity.

3. How does BEC form on a planet?

BEC can form on a planet when the temperature drops to near absolute zero (-273.15 degrees Celsius). At this temperature, atoms slow down and start to clump together, forming a BEC state.

4. Can multiple stars prevent BEC on a planet?

Yes, multiple stars can potentially prevent BEC on a planet by providing enough energy to keep the temperature above absolute zero. However, the exact conditions for preventing BEC may vary depending on the specific planet and its environment.

5. What are the potential implications of BEC on a planet?

BEC has many potential implications, including in the fields of physics, chemistry, and technology. It may help scientists better understand quantum mechanics and could potentially be used in technologies such as superconductors and atomic clocks.