Can One Electron Make Two Transitions in a Row?

In summary, the conversation discusses the energies of three photons from an excited atomic hydrogen sample and the possible sources of these photons. The attempted solution involves using the energy levels of a hydrogen atom and concludes that the photons must come from a single atom. However, a question is raised about the possibility of one electron making two transitions in a row.
Sumanth

Homework Statement

Three photons coming from excited atomic hydrogen sample are picked up. Their energies are 12.1 eV, 10.2 eV and 1.9 eV. These photons must come from?
A)two or three atoms
B)single atom
C)three atoms
D)two atoms

The Attempt at a Solution

By solving it i got single atom but it is not the answer...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your working and reasoning.

Simon Bridge said:
Please show your working and reasoning.

In a hydrogen atom energy of k level is -13.6eV
L level is -3.4eV
M level is -1.5eV
Now if electrons dexcite from M level then there is possibility for the three values of the energy of photons released... That's the reason I got only single atom

Sumanth said:
Now if electrons dexcite from M level
How many electrons are there in each atom?

One. Electron in each atom ... So. I think answer will be three ... I didnt think of the number of electrons but i thought of only possibilities

Is it possible for one electron to make two of the transitions in a row?

Related to Can One Electron Make Two Transitions in a Row?

What is atomic structure problem?

Atomic structure problem refers to the challenges and questions that scientists face when studying the characteristics and behavior of atoms, including their composition, structure, and interactions with other atoms.

Why is it important to understand atomic structure?

Understanding atomic structure is crucial for various fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It helps us understand the properties and behavior of matter, as well as develop new technologies and materials.

What are the main components of an atom?

An atom consists of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and electrons orbiting around the nucleus. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge.

How is atomic structure studied?

Scientists use a variety of techniques and instruments, such as electron microscopes, X-ray diffraction, and spectroscopy, to study atomic structure. These methods allow them to visualize and analyze the composition and arrangement of atoms.

What are some current challenges in understanding atomic structure?

One of the main challenges is studying atoms at extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or pressures. Another challenge is understanding the behavior of subatomic particles, such as quarks and gluons. Additionally, scientists are still trying to develop a unified theory that can explain all aspects of atomic structure.